[1]

Shit, shit, shit.

      I looked out of the window, my heart racing and sweat dripping down my back. Something terrifying had pulled up in front of my house... something I dreaded seeing everyday... the mailman.
   I quickly shut the curtains, placing my jittery hand over my chest trying to catch my breath.
   C'mon James... we go through this everyday... it's only a few seconds outside... nothing scary about that at all!
   I inhaled deeply as I looked pulled back the curtains once more. The mailman was now nowhere in sight but that didn't take away from my unending nervousness.
Now that the mailman a not here anymore I can check the mail... but what if my neighbor sees me?! Oh, wait I don't have a neighbor... but there's a whole family that lives across the street, right?!
   I looked at my watch to see that it was nearly 3:30.
  Fuck! This is the time normal people usually get home right?! If I'm getting the mail, I've gotta get it now!
  Quickly, I grabbed my hoodie and ran out of my dark room. I rushed down the stairs and to my front door where my shoes were. When I heard my favorite bark, my face instantly lit up.

   As I crouched down to put my shoes on, my dog Ein came up to me happily, wagging her little stub of of a tail.

  "Oh Eiiiin," I said, my voice oozing with affection. "I'll be back, okay? I'm just going to check the mail!"

   She continued to wag with her mouth wide open as if smiling. I smiled back at her and patted her head.

  "Alright, time to get this over with..." I said as I stood to my feet with a sigh. I looked at the front door feeling like I was staring at my own demise. The outside world and myself didn't really... get along. Just a task like getting the mail was was mentally draining for me. And don't get me started on actually going out to where people hung out.

  In the midstream of my own self loathing, my clammy hand had tightly grabbed onto the doorknob and it slightly shook as I attempted to open the door. When the first sign of sunlight came through the crack of the door, I swallowed hard.
   Alright, now just to check to see if there's any people outside...
  I peeked out of the door stealthily, looking from yard to yard. All the driveways were empty and the houses seemed to be pretty vacant. I heaved a heavy sigh of relief and thus started to hype myself up to exit my safe haven.
Ok James, you got this. You do this everyday and have succeed most days...! You've can do this James...!

  I threw the door open, taking all the stores up energy of sitting in my home all day and putting it into my familiar journey to the dreaded mailbox.
  I stepped out of the door and immediately was overcome with the unbearable heat of the summer Colorado day. Wearing a black hoodie made it no better.
   I scurried over to my mailbox and opened it up. For some reason, it was extra full today and I even had received a small package. I hurriedly tried grabbing all of the mail so that I wouldn't have to make two trips. I even put some in my pockets.
   Good, good... no ones come home yet and it looks like I won't have to make two trips...
  As soon as the mailbox was empty, I quickly shut it with my elbow and set my direct course back to my home. My legs moved as soon as I had all the mail securely in my hands and my eyes never left their target.
You're almost back James... you're almost back.

  "Heeeey! Wait a second!"

I was only steps away from the steps that led to my home but fear struck me when I heard a yell from not far away. I frantically looked around, praying that it was just my imagination. Praying that the heat had miraculously gotten to me that quickly.

"H-hey!"
The voice sounded closer this time... it sounded like it came from the house next to me that had been for sale for a while. I looked at the yard for the 'for sale' sign but my eyes couldn't spot it.

  This time I looked at the door of the house and something truly unfortunate for me got closer and closer. It was a person. A girl to be exact. She was running up to me obviously wanting to strike up a friendly conversation; something I was never in the mood for.

  "Hey, sorry I yelled at you from the window but when I saw you I ha-"

Without even letting her finish sentence, I made a mad dash back to my house.

  "W-wait!" The girl yelled.

  I obviously didn't wait and quickly made my way back into my home, quickly shutting and locking the door behind me. I placed my hands on my knees, gasping heavy for air.
W-who the hell was that?! Why did she run up to me like that?!

  As I suffered from the consequences of being slightly unfit, a knock came to my door. I quickly drew in a sharp breath and looked over at Ein who had her interest piqued by my unusual display.

  "Hellooooo? Are you okay in there?"

I quickly turned around and leaned my ear against the door.
  I've got to get her away from here...

"Wh-what do you want?" I nervously stammered.

   "I just wanted to say sorry if I scared you. Didn't think I'd be that frightening."

  "...Well, I'm fine. P-please just leave me alone now..."

"You don't want to know who I am?"

  "N-no... it doesn't really matter to me... now just leave, okay?"

  She went quiet for a few seconds before clicking her tongue.
  "Fine then. Have a good day."

With each footstep that got farther and farther away, the better I felt.  I was eventually able let out a relieved sigh and with it, I slid down the door.
Ein happily trotted up to me and jumped in my lap, planting her little kisses on my chin. My hand stroked her soft fur as I leaned my head against the door and closed my eyes. 
   "Looks like I won't be able to check the mail for awhile Ein..."