Chapter 10

I looked at Jeff, stunned, not knowing what to say. I never went to party's or dances because I had to wear a dress. I wasn't sure if I liked Jeff either, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

"Sure," I say.

He beams at me. "Great. For a second I thought you were going to say no."

*****

The score was 21-21. We needed a touchdown to win. We were on their 30 yard line, first and ten.

I was wide receiver and Curtis was quarterback. I hustled to the huddle.

"Ok," Curtis said, "lets do the wishbone."

We jogged to the line and got into position.

"Hike."

I took off running and cut out looking for the pass, but the ball was thrown the other way, towards Jeff.

He caught it and took off for the end line when a defender came out of nowhere and tackled him.

We gained 10 yards and needed 20 more.

"Hike!" Shouted Curtis.

I took off again and ran to where I was supposed to be and looked for the ball, but again it was sailing to Jeff.

He caught it but was tackled instantly. We gained 5 yards with 15 to go.

"Hike!"

I ran to my spot and got open but again it went to Jeff and this time he missed it. We were going to go for it. We needed this touchdown otherwise we would lose.

"Hike!"

I ran to my spot and screamed to Curtis, "I'm open! Throw it to me!"

The ball came flying towards me in a perfect spiral. I jumped up and caught it and ran to the end zone for the game winning touchdown.

The clock ran out and we won!

*****

After the game when I was coming out of the girls locker room Curtis grabbed my arm.

I spun to face him.

"What?" I said frustrated.

"Good job tonight," he said. He opened his mouth to say more but decided against it and turned and walked away.

I shook my head and walked toward Jackson's truck. 

What happened to him?