Chapter 8

The next practice we are scrimmaging and I am playing quarterback. "Hike!" I shout. The ball is snapped to me and I look for Jeff, but he isn't open. One of the defensive linemen got through and ran up to me, but wouldn't tackle me. 

"Rayne you better tackle her next time! Just because she is a girl doesn't mean she can't handle some bruises!" disciplined coach. "Luke you better not let Rayne get by again.

"Got it coach," he called. He gave me a look of pity and turned and jogged back to his spot.

The next play Rayne broke through again and this time didn't hesitate to tackle me. He took me down and landed on top of me. I landed with an "Umph."

He immediately got up off of me and helped me up. "Sorry," he mumbled.

"That's ok, good job," I replied brushing myself off.

"Luke, I told you not to let Rayne get by again!" coach screamed. "Bench. Now." Luke glared at me and Rayne then stalked over to the benches. Jackson came and took his place.

The rest of practice no one else got through the line, and we scored 3 touchdowns. 

*****

Our first game is tonight and I am extremely nervous. I am going to be playing tight end. Jackson and the other guys are all really excited. Curtis, Luke, and some of their friends still don't like me for some reason, but I don't really care anymore.

"So, excited for your game tonight?" asked the all too familiar voice.

"What do you want Prudence," I asked turning away from Imre and my lunch to face her.

"I want you off the team, slut." She sneered.

"Don't call me that." I said trying to control my anger. I grabbed my lunch and threw it away walking towards the door. 

"Fine then, bitch." She replied sassily.

I stopped dead in my tracks. "Excuse me?" I say turning around slowly.

"You heard me, bitch." She gave me a huge fake cheery smile and started walking back to her table. By now, everyone's eyes were on us. Again.

That was it. She had been rude enough. I stomped over to her and grabbed her arm, spinning her around to face me. I looked her squarely in the face before slapping face so hard she stumbled back and fell to the floor.

"Bitch." I say walking out the cafeteria doors.