Chapter 4

I pull into the schools parking lot by the field and make my way over to the bleachers.

I'm not sure what position I want yet. I can throw the ball, catch, and run well, but I am definitely to small to be on the line. So I'm down to quarterback, running back, tight end, or wide receiver.

I set my bag down on the grass and pull out my water bottle as Coach G. comes over.

"Ready?" He asks.

"I was born ready."

*****

As I get warmed up and stretch one by one the team starts to show up and sit on the bleachers.

"Ok that's enough stretching now go run four laps," says Coach G.

"Ok, Coach G." I say.

"Please call me coach, now give me those four laps!"

I take off, pacing myself. Taking breaths to match my strides.

By lap three I'm tired and the whole team had shown up. All eyes were on me. I wasn't going to show weakness with the whole team here, especially with the jerks that shut me in a locker. So, I pulled my self together and finished the last lap strong.

I came back to the bleachers got some water and jogged over to coach. I ignored some of the looks the guys gave me.

"Now do suicides everyone 5 yards," said coach.

I mentally groaned but went and started my suicides. By the time I was at the 60 yard line I was surprised I hadn't collapsed yet.

You can do it Robin, I told myself. You are a Cabot and Cabot's don't give up. I gritted my teeth and finished the suicides dragging myself back to coach.

The look on coach's face was stunned. I spared a glance at the team and they all look surprised as well.

"What?" I ask.

"You just ran one mile and then did suicides every five yards. That's over another mile. I didn't expect you to even get halfway, let alone finish." Says coach.

"Oh," is all I can say.

"Curtis, come here. I want you to throw Robin some passes," instructs coach.

A muscular guy stands up and I immediately recognize him as the one that put me in the locker and got me out. He must be the quarterback.

Crap.