Chapter Thirty-One

. . . RECAP . . .

The look on his face seemed more fit for a funeral than a school parking lot.

"How did you parents die?" Sehun asked.

=^_^= . . . =^_^=

"What?" Where did that come from? I glanced at the gravel pavement. "Car accident." After four years, I could finally talk about this without bursting into tears. "It wasn't their fault," I added, because I didn't want him thinking my parents were irresponsible. "We're not sure, but we think they swerved to avoid a deer and hit a tree instead."

"They were on their way to a protest, right?" Something about the way he said it sent the hairs on the back of my neck standing.

"I - I don't know." That seemed like it could be true, but it was the first time I'd heard it. I'd been barely fourteen and got information, the kind that was picked over and reduced down to its very essence to help my senstive little brain cope.

"Are you sure it was a deer they were trying to avoid?"

My throat started to close. I couldn't answer.

"That day, my dad was supposed to go to a protest he was organizing with your parents. They were trying tos top the rezoning of the farmland. B ut he never got there either. A few city officials showed up at the house before he left, presenting him with a cease-and-desist letter and demanding answers. He surrendered and told them what your parents were planning. And then they were run off the road."

"By a deer?" I wasn't making the connection here.

"There were no witnesses, Suzy. And some of the newspaper articles reported tire tracks, possibly from an oncoming car headed in your parent's direction."

I dropped his hand. "Wait." My breath shortened with each inhale becoming more rapid. "Are you saying my parents were murdered?"

"No." He reached for my hand, but I snapped it away. "I don't know. All I'm saying is, my dad believes they were, that he's responsible. He's racked with guilt, and the city has done everything in its power to screw him over. He sent me away to keep me safe, which means he believes this city is unsafe. ANd if that's the case, we have to stop it before anyone else gets hurt."

=^_^= . . . =^_^=

A short update for you guys. What'cha think???