The First Task

The rest of the weekend passed and chatter of Harry's Daily Prophet debut died down as talk of the tournament stirred back up.

"I heard they're all prepped for the first task." Fred said as he gave George a knowing grin.

Krystal smiled at them, so the dragons were here already.

After She finished her breakfast (having chosen to sit with her friends for breakfast), Krystal got up from the table and Cedric did the same.

The two met up at the great hall entryway, and just like every morning, Cedric began walking Krystal to her Charms class.

As they reached the corridor Cedric's bag split open and all of the contents inside fell everywhere.

Krystal knew Harry was following us, and he was about to warn Cedric about the first task.

Krystal began to bend down and help Cedric but he stopped her. "Go on darling, you'll be late." He said "i'll see you at lunch." He promised then kissed her before She left.

Krystal sat next to Krum in class and listened to Professor Flitwick's prepared lesson.

Later that evening Cedric of course told Krystal all about the first task. "Harry says they've got a dragon for each of us." Cedric whispered excitedly as he glanced cautiously all around them. "Says we have to get by them, whatever that means." He said.

"Well lets think about it." Krystal suggested knowingly as they sat in the library. "What are dragons best at?"

"Flying, breathing fire, destroying villages." He rambled off.

Krystal nodded her head yes "they're also good at lording over their treasure." She stayed. "I think they'll be guarding something, and if that's the case you have tonight to figure out how to both distract a dragon and get the treasure safely."

"Distract...hmmm," He nodded his understanding, "I think I might have a plan."

...

Krystal worriedly walked with Cedric, hand in hand to the champions tent. Of course she kew he'd get the golden egg from the dragon, but she also remembered that he'd get a little hurt in this task as well. Of course there was no preventing this, I mean...He is a better wizard than she is and if he couldn't come up with anything better and execute it to the best of his ability then she knew she couldn't be much help other than be there to support him fully.

"Be safe." She said as She hugged him tight.

"Of course I will darling." He said with his charming smile on full display.

Krystal tiptoed and kissed him, but they pulled away when a camera suddenly flashed.

It was Rita Skeeter.

"Krystal Montgomery, my my, you sure do have an eye for handsome men." She said as her quill went to work.

"Miss Montgomery." Dumbledore's aged voice sounded startling Skeeter, "I think you should give your sweetheart your last words of encouragement and then take to the stands."

Krystal blushed but whispered a final "good luck" to Cedric then walked away from him and Dumbledore, but paused when she stepped next to Rita Skeeter. "Remember what I told you in The Three Broomsticks Rita."

Before Skeeter could respond Krystal strode away. Once she reached the cheering crowds Krystal found a seat with her friends. It was cold and She was wearing Cedric's jacket to make her feel better.

Krystal stared with worry, everyone around her excitedly talked about the chained blue and grey Swedish Short-Snout dragon. Krystal knew very well that this was Cedric's dragon, and she knew what was about to happen...on the upside, having him as the first to compete she wouldn't have to worry about him for too long, he'd get in, face the dragon, distract it, get the egg and be done.

But as a loud whistle blew Krystal couldn't help it as her heart began to race so fast and loud that the rest of the sounds around her faded away temporarily.

Despite already knowing the outcome She watched nervously as Cedric came into view.

The dragon spotted Cedric almost immediately so he had to act quickly by ducking behind a large boulder to avoid getting burned.

"Oooh, narrow miss there, very narrow." Ludo Bagman's amplified voice rang through the stands.

Cedric, quick as he is, ran to the opposite side of the dragon and found a batch of medium sized rocks.

"He's taking risks, this one!" Bagman announced.

Cedric quickly chose a good enough rock and transfigured it into a large Labrador. "Clever move." Ludo Bagman commentated.

The dragon set its sights on the running dog while Cedric inched closer to the golden egg, suddenly the dragon changed its mind and decided to pay its attention back on Cedric.

"Ooh, pity it didn't work!" Bagman yelled at Cedric's obvious failed attempt.

Fifteen minutes passed with Oohs and Ahhs as Cedric out smarted and narrowly missed the dragon. But Cedric was unluckily burned just before he reached the nest and carefully removed the golden egg.

She breathed a sigh of relief as the crowd erupted all around her at Cedric's success.

People in the stands congratulated her on her boyfriends wonderful go against the first dragon, Krystal was as polite as could be while She tried to escape them all and go down to the medic tent.

She reached the tent as Madame Pomfrey rambled on and on about the dangers of dragons.

Krystal looked at Cedric sitting up on the medical bed, Madame Pomfrey had given Cedric something to drink as she slathered some orange substance on the left side of his face.

"Hello darling." Cedric said happily then held up the gold egg with his right hand.

"You promised to be safe." Krystal scolded him.

"Humph." Madame Pomfrey sounded humored at the suggestion. "He's lucky he's quick, unfortunately he was quick enough." She sighed and shook her head. "Make sure he drinks all of the potion or the burn paste won't work."

Krystal nodded and Madame Pompfrey left the two lovebirds alone. She took the opportunity to kiss Cedric's unharmed cheek.

"I got it." He said proudly.

"Yes." She said as a loud Bagman started shouting again.

"That's some nerve he's showing...and...yes, he's got the egg!"

"But I guess I wasn't quick enough." Cedric said as his pride was suddenly washed away as he'd heard Krum had gotten his golden egg in a shorter time.

"I'm sure whatever he did wasn't as exciting as yours was, you gave everyone a show, put yourself in danger, took risks, and finally came out the victor." Krystal said trying to cheer him up.

Then they went out to get the scores.

Krystal stood by his side, proudly holding his hand, he was given a score of thirty, not bad. Of course Harry and Krum would tie for first place. Cedric congratulated Harry before the four campions were approached by the Tournament committee.

"Congratulations to all of you, " Barty Crouch Senior said. "You've all performed bravely today...now, those golden eggs you've fought so hard to get are more than just a shiny bauble...study themas they are your next clue to what lies ahead for you four."