Chapter 12

She sits in one of his LAPD hoodies, watching him prepare dinner for them both with food from the stocked kitchen, when she speaks up, "Deeks?"

"Yeah?"

"Tell me about your father.." Kensi says softly.

Deeks sighs, and walks over to her, "Uhm, there's, uh, nothing much to tell... He wasn't exactly father of the year material." He chuckles dryly.

"He'd always been a drunk?"

"I, uh, don't think I can say that, but I guess it was during my mother's pregnancy?"

Kensi nods, "I'm sorry that you're going through this because of his actions, Deeks."

Deeks shrugs, "It's okay, I guess. Hopefully, it'll be over soon."

She notices the sad look on his face, and drops the subject, jokingly saying, "I'm kind of starving here, Deeks."

"No kidding," He chuckles, "You've dogged at those cookies like you've never eaten."

"Shut up."

-:-

"Why were you fleeing?" Sam asks.

"I just wanted to go to home hometown for a bit, what's the harm?" Brody says smugly.

"Conveniently after we find our team member unconscious in a bathtub, right?" Callen rolls his eyes.

"All of this is on his father, and since that dirty bastard is dead, all we can do is torture his offspring. Take me if you like. I don't care. All I know is that the fancy new life they've got, won't last very long. They're not off the grid, and their new identities are useless. I've admitted my crimes, and I can reveal my accomplices and partners if you'd like."

Callen slams a pad and pen on the table so that he can write the names of those he mentioned, and he and Sam exit the room.

"That was easy." Sam says.

"We have to tell Hetty that Kensi and Deeks's covers are blown. These guys are too good."

"But not better than us, G." Sam says, dialing Hetty's number.

-:-

"You actually didn't burn the kitchen down." Kensi jokes.

"Excuse me," Deeks jokingly warns, "I happen to cook a mean bowl of spaghetti, Agent Blye."

"Mhmm, I can tell. Not too shabby." She says chewing.

Suddenly they hear a weird noise from outside the house.

"They can't have found the safe house." Deeks says, not even convincing himself.

"I'm going to put on a pair of pants.." Kensi says, her voice shaking as she gets up and goes to the room for a pair of pants, while Deeks stands up with a gun in hand. The door knob begins twisting, then the person knocks. Kensi joins with a pair of pants on, and gun in hand as well. Deeks opens the door to reveal Hetty standing in their doorway.

"Damn it, Hetty. We thought you were someone else." Kensi sighs in relief.

"Well, Miss Blye, I believe that Brody and his men know where you are, so it's best we get out of here." Hetty says.

"How'd they find us?" Deeks asks, closing the door behind Hetty, and cleaning up.

"I don't know how, but all I know is that they found you. It'll all be over soon, Sam and Callen arrested Brody, and he gave a list of all those who work with him, although I think there's still someone out there because he gave himself up right after he threatened us about you." Hetty explains.

"So we have to get out of here?"

"It would be best."

"Can we please just- Can we stay and get them ourselves? Myself?" Deeks begs.

Hetty shakes her head, "It's not safe, Mister Deeks."

"This job isn't safe! You owe me this much, after all you've put me through." Deeks says.

"Okay, fine." Hetty gives in.

"I don't under- what? Really?" Deeks says, expecting a fight.

Kensi smiles at the two, and says, "We'll call for backup if we need any."

"You're going to have backup close by if I'm letting you do this." Hetty says sternly.

"Thank you so much," Deeks says, and walks closer to her, "See? I knew I was your favorite."

"No, see, it was actually Kensi, but you're a close second, Mister Deeks." Hetty smiles, and starts for the door, "Be careful. Stay safe."

"We will." Deeks and Kensi say in unison as she shuts the door and leaves.

Suddenly, Kensi's eyes water, and she just breaks down into tears.

"Kensi, Kensi, what's wrong?" Deeks pulls her into his chest.

"I just- It just sunk in that all of this happened after Afghanistan... After what happened to you.. Everything is just happening all at once and it's really overwhelming. I don't know if I can do this- be in this environment anymore... I don't think I can do it." Kensi sobs into his chest, tugging on the back of his shirt.

Deeks rubs her back, and says "I know it seems overwhelming, but it's not the end of the world, even though it seems that way. I know what you're feeling, and I know it's awful, but you're too good at this too quit, Kensi. Your father wouldn't want you to give up, now, would he?"

She chuckles tearfully, "No, he wouldn't."

"Don't say that you can't do it, because you can, and I know you can... We all know you can. Keep that head up, Fern. Your tough as hell, and this isn't going to stop you, right?"

Kensi nods, sniffles, and composes herself, "Damn right. Thank you, Marty."

Deeks's eyes instantly light up, "You called me Marty,"

"It doesn't sit well with me, but I'm going to get used to it." Kensi chuckles, and wipes the tear stains from her cheeks.

"I don't mind you calling me Deeks." He smiles, and presses a kiss to her head.

"We're kicking ass today, right?"

"Hell yeah we are."

-:-

This is pretty short compared to others I've done as well, but I'm slowly revealing the ending. There is one chapter left to this story, unless I decide to include an epilogue....

Thank you to all who have read from the begining, and those of you who have joined in as I've updated!!! It really means a lot!

I'm planning another fanfic, comment if you'd like it to be like this one or something on a lighter note! I'd really like your opinion!

-Amanda xx