Chapter 9

• Justin •

I drop Carter off, giving her another kiss on her soft lips. She blushes and skips up to her porch, disappearing inside. If anything, I like Carter more than I ever liked Selena. Carter is...special. She brightens up my day without even trying.

When Jeff pulls into my driveway, I slip out of the limo, thanking him and wishing him a goodnight. He seemed suprised but wished me a goodnight as well before driving off to his own home.

I walk blissfully up my driveway, unlocking the front door and stepping inside while humming a random tune.

"I'm home, Ma!" I call and head into the kitchen. I find my mother sitting at the kitchen counter, her head down in her hands, sobbing. Someone's standing over her, their hands on my mother's shoulder. That someone was Selena.

I clench my fists. "Mom? What's wrong?"

My mom cries harder, not answering my question. Selena looks at me, a sympathetic look on her face.

"Justin," She says. "It's you're grandpa."

She doesn't have to say anything else. I already know.

"Justin, I'm here for you." Selena begins to walk over. I take a step back, grabbing my mother's car keys off the counter in the process.

"Justin!" Selena calls as I make a mad dash to the front door, slamming it shut behind me. Tears spill down my face as I pry open my mother's silver Lexus. I slip inside and start the ignition, trying to focus as I pull the car out of the driveway.

My grandfather. My only grandfather...

I do my best to control myself as I drive to Carter's, not caring that I still don't have a license. Only a permit.

• Carter •

"Aunt Marci?" I skip into the living room to find my Aunt calmly watching who-knows-what on TV.

"Hey, Cart." She smiles up at me. "Back from your date?"

"It wasn't-" I begin to say but blush. "Yeah."

She chuckles. "So what's up?"

I chew on my lips and perch myself on the couch's arm. "Well...do you anything about my mom? About how she got her...AIDs?"

All the color drains from Aunt Marci's face. "How did you-"

"Dont worry about how I found." I cutt her off. "I need to know how she got AIDs and I...I need to know more about my father."

Aunt Marci purses her lips. "Listen, Carter. I don't think now's the right time-"

"Aunt Marci, please!" I plead. "And...and you know what's always bothered me? Why doesn't Mia look like Mom and I? And...and at what age exactly did Mom have Mia, I mean, since she had me when she was 16."

Aunt Marci heaves a sigh. "Cart, I don't want to get into this-" She's interupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing.

I curse beneath my breath. "I'll get it." I mutter, hopping off the couch's arm and sprinting towards the door. I pry it open to find Justin standing there, his face streaked with tears.

"Justin-" I begin.

He cuts me off by embracing me in a tight hug, sobbing into my shoulder. My heart breaks seeing him like this.

"C'mon." I mumble, slipping my fingers around his and start to lead him upstairs.

"Who was it, Carter?" Aunt Marci calls.

I pause. "Uh, some guy who had the wrong house. I'll...I'll be up in my room. I'm tired." I shout back.

Tears are still streaming down Justin's face as I lead him up and into my room, gently closing the door behind us.