Chapter 5

• Justin •

"Justin?" My mother creaks open the door to my bedroom. "Are you ok? You haven't left your room all morning."

"I'm fine." I mumble, my eyes fixed on the white ceiling above me.

I hear my mother sigh. "Sweetheart, your phone was ringing eariler. I didn't recognize the number. Thought I'd let you know."

"It's probably just another crazy fan who found out my number." I say.

My mother walks over and drops the phone on my stomach. "You never know. I'd call back if I were you."

I groan. "I don't wanna."

"You're acting like a three year old." She leans down and plants a kiss on my forehead. "I miss the old Justin."

She gives me a small sympathetic smile and walks away and out of my room.

I sigh and sit up on my bed and turn my phone around my fingers. I had two missed calls. One which I'd rather not talk about and the other one from a number I didn't recognize.

I decided against calling them back until I realized I had a voice mail. I sucked in a deep breath and pressed the phone to my ear wondering who it was from.

"Hey, Justin. It's Carter." I smile when I hear Carter's voice. "Interesting voice mail you got there. Anyways. Please call me back? No real reason. I just want to talk to you. And..." She pauses. "Bye, Justin."

The voice mail ends. I chew on my bottom lip, deciding whether or not to call her back.

At last, I choose to call her. My fingers stab at my phone's small keyboard as I hit "Call Back". I press my phone to my ear and wait.

• Carter •

I'd fallen asleep. I wasn't sure when or how but I had. I was awoken by my phone's obnoxious ringing. I roll over and groan, grabbing my phone off my nightstand and absentmindly hitting "Answer."

"Ello." I say groggily.

"Carter? Hey. It's, uh, Justin." The familiar voice says.

I'm suddenly wide awake and sitting up on my bed. "Hey! Hey. Um, hey. What's up?" I frown at myself. Why did I say Hey so many times?

"Um, hey." He responds. "You called me..."

"I did." I bite my lip. "So how are you?"

"I'm great." He tells me. His voice doesn't sound so great. He's lying. I pretend to ignore it.

"That's good." I don't know what else to say. I look around my room trying to find a topic to talk about.

"How did you get my number?" He asks suddenly.

"Jeff." I say. "Don't get mad at him. He thought you wouldn't mind."

"I don't." He tells me. "I'm glad he gave it to you."

"Thanks."

"Carter?" Aunt Marci's voice interrupts. She prys open the door to my room. "Mia called. She says there's a carnival down in Malibu if you wanted to join her. They left Beverly Hills."

I motion towards my cell, indicating that I was on the phone. "Ok. Thank you." I mouth.

"Sorry." She mouths back. "Who is it?"

I simply wave her off. She gives me a suspicious look and disappears.

"Carter?" Justin calls from the other end. "You still there?"

"Huh? Yeah. Sorry." I pause. "Hey. What do you think about a carnival down at Malibu?"

• Justin •