Chapter 28

• Justin •

The minute we arrived back at the house, Carter ran inside, almost knocking down her Aunt on her way. I heaved a sigh and stepped inside, slowly shutting the door behind me.

"What happened?" Aunt Marci asks, raising an eyebrow in my direction.

"I think it should be Carter who should tell you," I tell her. "It's really none of my business."

Aunt Marci nods and then finishes with a sigh. "Is she ok?"

"I don't know." I respond honestly.

Aunt Marci bites her lip. "I'll go talk to her." She says before making her way upstairs. I follow, but head into my guest room instead, eyeing the large, pink suitcase that was now beside my bed.

Who does that-

"I'm sorry." Mia walks out of the guest bathroom, her hair wet and falling in ringlets around her shoulders. "I was showering since Cale took the other bathroom." She walks over and picks up her suitcase, propping it on the bed. "How are things with Carter?"

"Unchanging." I sigh. "I have a feeling things aren't going to change for a while."

"That sucks." Mia comments, throwing me a sympathetic look as she digs through her suitcase, eventually pulling out a pair of colorful socks but something else falls out as well.

I pick it up, scanning over the small, framed photograph. I'm pretty sure it was picture of Mia, but it looked...old. Mia was wearing a long, ancient-looking gown and a small tiara and she wore a happy smile on her face that showed off her dimples.

"When did you take this?" I question.

"I, well..." Mia blushes. "It's not me. I found it in Aunt Marci's stuff and kept it. Please don't tell her." Mia takes the picture and flips it, pointing to something that was written on the back. "I'm pretty sure this is Aunt Marci."

I crinkle my forehead.

- Marcella Clearwater Gray. June 13 1992. -

"Is your Aunt's full name Marcella?" I ask Mia, turning the photograph around in my fingers.

Mia nods.

I frown, cocking my head to the side. "You look exactly like her..."

• Carter •

I stare at the ceiling, my bottom lip trembling. Why is this happening? Who's my mother? Is she still alive?

"Sweetheart?" Aunt Marci appears in my doorway. She walks over and takes a sear on my bed, causing it to sink. "Are you ok? What's up?"

"It's nothing." I mutter, not wanting to talk about it. Aunt Marci might now know. She was lied too. There was no other possibilty.

"Cart," She begins to say but I cut her off.

"I don't want to talk about it. Can I just have some time alone?"

Aunt Marci sighs and stands up. "If that's what you want. But don't be afraid to talk to me, ok?"

I nod, burying my face in my pillow and waiting for any sign of the door closing. I don't hear it. Instead, I hear footsteps walking towards me and then the bed sinks again.

"Aunt Marci-" I start to say.

"It's just me." A familiar voice chuckles.

I smile to myself and sit up, wiping away any visible tears from my eyes. "I thought you weren't home."

"I am now." Cale grins, reaching over to ruffle my messy hair. "So, what's up? What's with the tears?"

I heave a loud sigh and rest my head on Cale's shoulder. "It's complicated."

"Spill." Cale insists.

I bite my bottom lip as I observe the empty ground. "You can't tell anyone. Only Justin knows."

"Justin?" Cale throws me a weird look which I ignore.

"Do you promise?" I ask again.

"I promise."

"Well..."

I tell him everything, not leaving out a single detail. When I finish, I find myself bursting into tears again. Cale pulls me into a brotherly hug and assures me that everything's going to be ok.

I find it hard to believe him.

• Justin •

I couldn't get the photograph out of my head. Mia and her Aunt could be twins. I could barely tell the different between Mia and the photograph. Was it just a coincidence?

I'm brought out my thoughts by the sound of my phone blasting 'With You' by Chris Brown.

I knit my eyebrows together and slide my iPhone out my pocket.

It's Selena.

"Hello?" I answer, pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey!" She chirps. "Chaz told me you're in North Carolina."

"Uh, yeah."

"I'm doing a video shooting there," She continues. "And I was wondering if you wanted to hang out. Bowling maybe? You can bring Carter. Ryan told me she's the reason you're there. And she can invite any friends-"

I butt in. "Selena, you talk to much." I chuckle. "And that sounds great. I'll talk to Carter about it."

"Great!" She beams. "I'll text you tomorrow. Bye, Justin."

"Bye, Selena." I hang up, throwing my phone aside.

Bowling. A part of me doubts Carter will agree, but-

"Have you seen a Ps3 in here?" Some guy I assumed was Cale, the one that had been in Carter's dressing room at graduation, poked his throw my door.

"No." I shake my head.

He groans and shuts the door, disappearing.

I smile to myself. If Cale goes, Carter has to go.

But...how am I going to tell Carter about the strange photograph?

______________________

Author's Note: Sorry it's short. /: I'm trying to make this my longest story though(; i'mm so busy with school now that I barely have time to write. But don't worry, I'll update every story at least once a week. Also, what do you think of the photograph of Aunt Marci? Any changed thoughts on who's Carter's mom is? Is Carter's mom dead or alive? Has she been in the story? Or not? Hmm.... You'll have to wait a while to find out(; COMMENT VOTE FAN!! And thank you CoverMaker for the amazing cover!!! xx