Part 22

Chapter 21

"These look good Javier," I slid my hand across the industrial sized oven that Javier and his men had just finished installing. The metal sparkled and I smiled for the first time in weeks. It had only been two days since my meltdown on the phone with Phillip. I had finished the cake for the Apollo's' and though they seemed happy with it, I knew I could have done a better job.

Javier wiped the sweat off his brow and grinned. He wore a long jeans and a collared shirt that matched his dark brown skin. "I can't believe we managed to complete so much in such a short time. If my team continues to work like this, I think your store can be open for business next month."

My head shot around and I stared at him wide eyed. "Are you serious?" He nodded and I squealed in delight. I closed the small distance between us and went to wrap my arms around his neck in a tight hold. Javier chuckled and wrapped his arms around my waist. In an instance he had my legs in the air as he swung me around the kitchen in my store.

I laughed and it felt so freeing.

I was happy. I missed the feeling far more than I ever thought I would; to be able to laugh again, to smile. It was such an amazing feeling that in that moment, I vowed never to lose it again.

Javier quickly put me down on the ground when we heard a throat clear behind us. I turned away from Javier to see our intruder, and when my eyes caught sight of the tall body in the doorway, my knees buckled and my breath hitched. I fell like a dead weight against Javier's chest and he scrambled to hold me up right.

"Are you alright chica?" He asked me but I couldn't turn my attention away from the person in front of me.

"Scott," I breathed.

I couldn't believe he was really there, in my store. After all this time, he had come back. He had come waltzing through my store as though he hadn't ripped my heart out. He acted as though everything were the same. He smiled the same; that stupid grin of his covering his face and making me want to both slap him and hug him tight. His eyes sparkled with excitement and I wanted to slap him for looking so carefree when I looked like death. He wore dark jeans and a simple green shirt that made me want to drool and slap him.

Actually all I really wanted to do was slap him.

And I did.

"Piper, what the hell?" Scott reached for his cheek that now turned a bright red. He stared at me in shock with his had rubbing at the stinging flesh.

I don't remember ever leaving Javier's side but I was glad I did. It didn't take away all my pain but, hearing the loud thwack sound and watching my hand collide with his cheek; gave me a sense of relief and satisfaction.

He continued to stare at me in confusion and it only made me angrier. I glared at him and then shoved him hard until his body fell back. It wasn't strong enough to get him to fall but it was enough to see him stumble. He stared at me like I was a stranger to him and I suppose he had every right to.

I didn't know who I was anymore.

"You jerk. What are you even doing here?" I screamed and gave him another shove.

Scott reached for my wrists and held them tight to stop me. He pulled me forward until my arms and my nose brushed his chest. "Would you stop hitting me? I came here to see you. Why else would I walk into an empty store?"

"I haven't heard from or seen you in three weeks, and you think it's okay to just stroll through my store? You hurt me!"

His face fell and guilt quickly clouded his vision. He let my wrist go and I immediately took a step away from him. "You betrayed me Scott. I told you my biggest secret and your reaction was to act like I didn't exist. You're the reason I don't believe in love because men don't care. They push and push you to open up and trust them so that you can fuel their prince charming complexes; help ease away their insecurities. And you know what they do to you when you've done your job? They drop you faster than the speed of light. You don't care about me, you just care about yourself."

He took a careful step forward and I took one back. He looked pained but I didn't care, he deserved to hurt. "Baby I didn't mean to hurt you, I swear. I know my leaving and ignoring you was wrong but I had some things I had to sort out; that's all. I came back here because I wanted to explain where I went. There is so much you need to hear. It's time for me to be honest with you, that's why I came back."

I wrapped my arms around my body and hugged tight. "You left me Scott. If you needed time to think, you could have just told me. You didn't though. You stayed quiet and you ignored all my calls and texts. That hurts. How am I supposed to forgive you? How am I supposed to believe anything you say?"

He stepped forward and this time, I stayed still. He stood before me and held my face in his hands. "Nothing has changed for me. I promise you. I still care about you. The way I feel about you hasn't changed, I haven't stopped falling for you. I've only continued to fall harder for you. I know I hurt you my love and I feel like I could just die knowing that I've caused you pain but, I want to fix things. Please give me the chance to fix things. I want to explain myself. Let me make this right?"

I was torn. I wanted to believe him, to give him the chance to explain himself but I always wanted to watch as a shark ate him piece by piece.

"Please my love, give me a chance to show you how much you mean to me?" He placed a small kiss on my forehead and I gave in. I fell into his arms and he quickly pulled me closer to him. There was no space between us as we both took the moment just to hold onto each other; to feel each other and hear our heartbeats slow and beat as one. I relaxed in his arms and let him hold me. He smelled just like I remembered.

He smelled like home.

I pulled out of is hold and stared up into his happy face. I smiled back at him; happy to finally see him, touch him and hear him.

"I've missed you so much my love. Being away from you was the hardest thing I have ever had to do."

I wasn't sure I believed his words but I was happy to hear them. He still had a lot of explaining to do but for the time being, we were alright. I was alright.

I had Scott back with me.

I was happy.

I was me again.