Part 11

A/N: Thanks to the amazing and supportive ohiaonyi for the amazing banner!! Give her a follow.

****

Chapter 10

The two weeks leading up to the Food and Bloom festival had been a sweet torture for me. Though my mind was numb from exertion and my body wobbled from exhaustion, I had successfully completed all my desserts and was more than ready for my moment in the spotlight.

I had chosen to make pecan and lime tarts along with chocolate and mint cream puffs to sell at my booth. I was forced to endure a three hour long meeting with the festival committee earlier in the week where, I had been questioned relentlessly on my progress thus far and whether or not I would be ready in time. It took everything in me to sit there silently smiling while repeating my mantra in my head, "I will be done."

It had all worked out though and that was what really counted. The greatest achievement had been that I had accomplished it all by myself. I hadn't had the time to hire an assistant and my mother was nearing semester break so she was far too busy. It had been difficult having to make close to two thousand pieces of each dessert by myself but, I had done it.

Nothing could have wiped the smile of my face.

My booth was placed on the pavement outside of my store as the festival was being held in the city centre. All along Main Street were large colourful stalls waiting for eager patrons. The festival had begun twenty years ago as a celebration of the town's local businesses and had been a successful town favourite ever since. Though it generally focused on food and flowers, a large focus was starting to be drawn to other businesses eager to up their profit margins.

I had chosen to leave my stall in a simple design with only my store sign for decoration. I had made it that way so that my desserts remained as the main attraction. Everything was perfect. I had arrived to the venue without any mishaps and a large crowd had quickly formed. I felt certain that the day would be one to remember.

If only I could get my trembling hands to calm down.

I hated being nervous; I felt too out of control. The festival was a huge opportunity for me and I was terrified of screwing things up.

A squeal broke me of my reverie and I glanced to my left for the source. I watched amused as an excited little girl jumped up and down on the balls of her feet with her tiny hand wrapped around her fathers' finger. She couldn't have been more than two years old but, she was old enough to know that the large inflatable device in front of her meant endless hours of fun. I watched as she dragged her laughing father toward the play pen. A beautiful red haired woman strolled leisurely behind them; a soft grin and soft eyes set on the father and child. Her hand was spread against her protruding belly and I watched as she absently rubbed at the peak of the ball of her stomach. The little girl; whose hair resembled that of her mothers, bounced up and down with glee. The father left her side and walked towards his wife where he soon found a place behind her and eagerly wrapped his thick arms around her thick waist, pulling her against his hard chest. They shared a quick look and then set their eyes back towards their daughter.

I quickly looked away and grabbed for my waist where a sudden sting of pain had quickly appeared. It wasn't a debilitating strike of pain, nor was it a comfortable sting. The sting was sudden and passed quick. I knew what it was; it had happened before. It was my body's way of pointing out a truth I liked to push far into the blackness of my mind.

I was jealous.

I may have been the towns spokesperson for an anti love campaign but it didn't mean I wasn't lonely. I wanted what the couple shared in that brief moment their eyes met. It was in that look that their happiness and adoration shone through. You couldn't fake that kind of contentment and peacefulness.