Chapter Fifteen "Acceptance"

Early rays of light filtered through the window's of Twilight house, bringing the lavender mare's gaze from her book. Repositioning herself in her seat so that her flank fell further into the couch's cushion, Twilight stretched her hooves over her head and smiled brightly. She had woken up quite some time before daybreak, unable to keep herself asleep for long. Today was meant to be a grand one, and Twilight couldn't be happier.

A week had passed since Spider-Mane saved the village from the dragon (once again), but this time in order to give the masked hero a proper show of gratitude, Mayor Mare decided to host a celebration in his honor. After everything that Peter had gone through, both in his old home and Equestria, Twilight felt it was the least her friend deserved. A burning anticipation washed over her being, despite the chill that traveled in the early morning air.

"Sparkle... I am in need."

Trixie's voice echoed from upstairs, transforming Twilight's bright smile into an exasperated frown. It had also been a week since Trixie moved in. While her demands were simple, regarding food and shelter, it did not change the fact that Trixie came off as a spoiled brat, forcing everypony to cater to her every whim. Adjustments were made throughout the week, but the biggest change was Trixie being given Twilight's room, forcing everypony to move into the living room.

Twilight let out a defeated sigh. All things considered, that situation could have been worse. Feeling obligated to help Peter and make amends with Trixie, Twilight did what she could despite the amount of annoyance the latter generated. While the couch was not nearly as comfortable as her bed, it sufficed on the grounds of providing sleep for the busy mare. Spike's bed was moved downstairs as well, but Peter willingly gave all rights of the couch, his previous sleeping spot, to Twilight and chose to sleep in the library with only a blanket.

Her lips curled into a smile. Even now, Peter's selfless nature remained intact.

Not wanting to irritate the waiting unicorn, which was easier said than done, Twilight trotted upstairs to her bedroom where Trixie rested. Once through the doorway, the blue unicorn lazily stirred, brushing her hooves across her eyes as her silver-blue mane, mangled from sleep, fell over her face. The chilling temperature had gone unnoticed to Trixie, thanks to the thick quilt wrapped comfortably around her body, and she eventually spotted the unicorn standing across her position, scoffing in response.

"Certainly took you long enough." Her voice was as condescending as ever. Placing her hoof over her mouth, Trixie feigned a few coughs. "My throat grows dry. Provide Trixie with a means to quench her thirst." She closed her eyes and waved Twilight off. "Post haste."

"All right." Twilight shrugged her shoulders, thanking the request was not as tedious as past others. Twilight turned but stopped by the door. "Trixie. I'll be leaving in a few to help finish with the preparations for the festival. So you'll be on you own for most of the day. Is that okay?"

Trixie shook her head with a humorless smile on her lips. "Ah, right. The Spider-Mane festival. Trixie almost forgot it was today." Stealing a glance at the window, Trixie shielded her eyes from the sun's intruding light. "You are not required to ask for my permission regarding your personal business. So it's fine. I don't really care what you do," she said offhandedly, pausing to allow her confident grin to surface. "Perhaps Trixie will grace everypony with her presence as well."

Twilight smiled. "Thanks, Trixie. I--"

Trixie turned her head away and huffed. "Don't." Her tone had turned bitter. "We are not friends." Pulling her quilt back over her head, Trixie hid her face from Twilight's point of view. "I'm still waiting for my drink."