Chapter Forty-Nine "Homecoming, Part VII

Chapter Forty-Nine "Homecoming, Part VII"

Everypony in the room inhaled sharply, each recoiling as a searing pain rushed through the confines of their chests. Trixie slammed her eyes shut and clutched at her forehead, distorted images flashing through her mind. They were blurry, but clear enough to reveal a pony standing alone in a white void with his back to her.

Trixie found herself trapped in the void as well. She furrowed her brow and looked around aimlessly, before her gaze centered on the stallion in her path. It was Peter. Her eyes softened as they beheld his unkempt, chocolate brown mane. The masculine curve from the base of his skull to the end of his neck that defined his masculine physique, and the thick stallion muscles that Twilight must have adored to embrace.

A great weight lurched forward in her chest, and it felt like the air in her lungs had stopped flowing completely. She needed to reach out and touch him. As her hoof made its way forward, the image of Peter began to fade, eventually dissipating completely into the emptiness of the void.

Shaking her head, Trixie opened her eyes and cried out, "No! Come back!"

She panted in a struggle to regain her breath. Trixie was back in the library as if nothing had even transpired. Befuddlement filled her violet irises, and she realized that the other mares in the room were experiencing the same symptoms.

Derpy had collapsed onto the floor, her trembling hoof tight against her chest. The fillies, each out of breath, were wiping tears from their eyes. Even the newcomer, Zecora, was troubled as she leaned against a wall for support, a sharp pain in her chest making her cringe. Trixie's brow lowered. It was not a coincidence; she was sure the phenomenon that had brought them together was worsening.

Trixie shifted her gaze to the ceiling. "My stars! What is going on? It feels like a part of me is dying, but why do I keep seeing visions of Peter?"

Zecora's posture straightened as her breathing leveled. She trotted over to Derpy and placed her head under the mare's chin, straining to help her back to her hooves. "We all felt that pain deep in our heart, and there is no question that Peter plays a part." The zebra paused to help each filly get up from the ground, and when everypony was finally on their hooves, she raised a hoof high above her head and continued. "Peter has formed connections with us, each very dear, and now we can sense, his end drawing near. It is because his spirit has grown and spread throughout the world. Now, the Web of Life will soon be uncurled. Peter's life is tied to many events, and for the Web, we can consider ourselves segments."

An exasperated Trixie stomped forward until she was a mere hoof's length from Zecora, paying no mind that the zebra was a bit taller than herself. "Look, I don't understand what's going on, but don't say Peter is going to die! How could YOU possibly know what's going on?!"

Zecora, undeterred by Trixie's impulsiveness, calmly held her ground. "My spirit is connected to the world and those around me; that which you struggle to acknowledge, I can easily see. When I first met Peter, I sensed the truth, but it was difficult to believe without further proof. Our bond was formed when we saw each other last, when I quickly learned that he was a fellow outcast. Then, I came to understand the bond we shared, when I looked back and realized how much Peter cared." Placing her hoof over her chest, Zecora smiled. "That memory is special, one I adore, and I hope you can begin to understand the situation, at least a little more."

"She's so weird."

"I wish she would practice her voodoo somewhere else!"

"She's not a zebra, she's a witch!"

Those were just some of the mocking comments the citizens of Ponyville had, on occasion, made to Zecora in the past. They usually didn't bother the mare, though. Her visits to town were rare, and words were just words, after all. It's normal for the fearful ignorant to lash out at the things they don't understand.