Chapter Nineteen "Nightmare Born from Darkness"

"There could have been an easier way," Peter droned, packing his costume into a knapsack. Several minutes had passed since he was brought into Canterlot, giving the stallion ample time to recollect his nerve. Keeping his hazel eyes locked on the bag, he ignored the ocean blue glare the moon goddess bore. "A simple phone call would have been nice. Better yet, let's exchange letters next time. That way, you won't have to snatch me from the rooftops again." Luna's glare deepened, causing Peter to chuckle nervously. "It's just a suggestion."

"Hold your tongue, Outworlder," Luna bluntly replied, rolling her eyes. 'I forgot how much this one talks.' She trotted away from the stallion and progressed over to her sister's position. "Both you and my sister have kept enough secrets from me for long enough. It ends tonight."

"I'm okay with that, but you could have just asked," Peter dumbly replied, shrugging his shoulders.

Princess Celestia nodded. "This is rather excessive, Luna. I informed you Peter was content with speaking with you."

A hint of frustration surfaced in the form of a growl. "I demand you to stop this at once!" Luna pointed her hoof at Peter without facing him. "Ever since the Outworlder arrived in our world, you have been far too lenient with him. He walks among the populace without proper supervision. Best yet, why was he not kept here in Canterlot under our guard?"

Repelling her younger sister's accusations, Celestia gracefully walked over to Peter, standing firmly behind him. With a smile on her face, she placed her hoof on his shoulder. "Peter has more than earned our trust. We've asked enough of him as is. It would not have been fair to keep him confined in one spot."

"You are so naïve!" Luna spat, stomping over to Celestia. Peter stood between both sisters and gulped, both of their tall figures dwarfing his own considerably. Although she tried, Luna could not conceal the exasperated groan that escaped from her mouth. "You've always been soft, but I never believed you were a fool." Luna's brow furrowed, deepening the glare she held. "If he is as trustworthy as you proclaim, why keep his unique abilities a secret from me?"

"Whoa! Wait!" Peter instinctively rose, standing to face the moon goddess in Celestia's defense. "I asked your sister to keep my identity a secret. She was only helping me." He paused, turning to give the sun princess a nervous yet honest smile. "Thanks by the way."

Celestia returned his smile in full, much to her sister's dismay. "It was nothing."

"What utter nonsense." Luna scowled, walking past both ponies in a huff.

Despite her conflicted feelings for the Outworlder, Luna could not bring herself to open her heart, not without knowing the truth. Celestia and Luna were complete opposites in that regard, and it may have explained why so many of their subjects preferred the elder sister over the younger. Even after what happened with Discord, Celestia retained the ability to easily trust everypony, but Luna was not nearly so lucky, especially when it came to outsiders.

She did not want lightning to strike twice.

"Enlighten me, Outworlder." Luna said, shifting her gaze from Celestia to Peter. "Tell me everything."

Pinkie Pie bounced vigorously on the plush bed of the hotel, coming closer to the ceiling with each jump. A couple of hours had passed since the group arrived in Manehattan, and fortunately, the hotel rooms were already prepared. Everypony ignored the pink mare's frenzy, keeping their attention centered on the map stretched across the table. Rainbow Dash traced the red line through the map with her hoof, tapping the starting and end point respectively.

"An obstacle course across the city?" Twilight dropped onto her flank, a serious look failing to mask her concern. "You sure that won't be too much for Spider-Mane?"