Chapter Forty-Six "Homecoming, Part IV

Chapter Forty-Six "Homecoming, Part IV"

Thirty Days Remain Until the Portal Closes...

Peter paced across the room with his arms folded, groaning as he struggled to pull his gaze from the ground. "Aunt May. There's no easy way for me to put this."

"What are you talking about?" May snapped, wadding the soaked tissue in her hand. "You have been gone foryears!You never called or anything! Good Lord, Peter! I thought you were dead!" She shook her head. "What's worse is that you come back telling me a story likethat?!Trapped in another world? Honestly!"

Slapping his hand on his forehead, Peter exhaled. "It's the truth!" Only a few minutes had passed, but it felt like an eternity for Peter. His aunt had every right to be furious. He rubbed the sides of his temples. Peter was handling this as badly as he anticipated. "Look. This isn't easy. I knew you would think I've gone around the bend." Exhaling, Peter shrugged. "Fine. Maybe this will be easier to believe."

May nearly shrieked as Peter flipped into the air, perching himself on the ceiling. He stood in the middle of the living room with his shirt lifted, revealing his costume underneath. Twilight sat quietly on the couch, while May stared at her nephew, eyes wide and mouth agape. The young man sighed inwardly. In this particular situation, there was no way to mince words. To convince his aunt of the truth, he had to introduce her to his alter ego, Spider-Man.

After a brief but awkward amount of time, Peter lowered his shirt, exhaled, and started to flip from the ceiling, but his foot tore a weak spot in the plaster, causing a chunk (and Peter) to fall. Peter landed on his hands, recollecting his balance. He ripped the piece of ceiling from his heel, but before anyone could react, Twilight extended her hand and violet energy enveloped the material. May slipped into her seat, weak-kneed, as the plaster found its way back to its place in the ceiling. Snapping her fingers, Twilight caused the material to glow brightly before dissipating, erasing all evidence of any damage.

"My Lord. How long?" May managed, patting her hand over her chest to calm her beating heart.

Peter flipped to his feet and ran his fingers through his hair. "Since I was fifteen."

"So this entire time..." May trailed off, her hands fidgeting in her lap. She shook her head, glancing off to the side before directing her sight back to her nephew. "It's no wonder you were always able to get those pictures. It's surprising, but itdoesmake sense." Her initial shock subsided, and a smile formed on her face. "My nephew, Spider-Man. Even when the Daily Bugle labeled you a criminal, you continued to save people and take pictures of it. You left quite a mark on the city. When Spider-Man disappeared - or rather, whenyoudid - criminals practically took over the city. The Bugle even went bankrupt, without more libel against their favorite whipping-boy to sell their rag."

Peter's eyes widened. "Seriously? They went out of business? What about JJ?"

May shook her head. "No, the Bugle is still in business. It's clear they're on their last legs, though. Spider-Man was the reason they were so successful, financially. However, when the crime rates rose and you were nowhere to be found, people finally started realizing how false some of the Bugle's accusations were." The older woman inhaled deeply, before continuing. "I went to the Bugle personally. I asked where you had gone to, but they hadn't the faintest idea. No one had seen or heard from you, it was as if you just disappeared. I was afraid you might have committed suicide over Gwendolyn, you took her death so hard. I assumed the worst and eventually grew to accept the possibility."

Shame filling his eyes, Peter turned his head to the side. "I'm sorry, Aunt May. I didn't mean to worry you."

May's smile grew. "It's quite all right, dear. I'm grateful and happy. My Peter is a hero, Ben would be so proud if he were here right now." As Peter recoiled at the sound of his uncle's name, May shifted her attention to Twilight. "So, you're the reason my nephew has been gone for so long? It's still rather difficult for me to believe you're not from our world. You look so normal. Why is it that Peter was the one you summoned? Our world is full of heroes."