Chapter Twelve "Alone in the Gala, Part II"

Twilight's eyes shifted all around, scanning her surroundings, but they soon filled with concern once they could not locate Peter. It had been quite some time since he separated from the group, and Twilight felt it was mandatory to find Peter as soon as possible. There was a chance he could cause trouble somewhere, or worse, bump into Princess Celestia!

Twilight forced a lump down her throat. She did not want to think about everything that could go wrong with that scenario. Her brow lowered with determination. It was high time she found Peter. That same moment, her entire body disappeared from sight, and she reappeared in a pink flash of energy outside of the main hall where the central party of the Gala took place.

Applejack watched from afar, mentally shaking her head at the sight. For the duration of the entire day, Twilight seemed particularly disturbed about something. Given, the lavender mare had a knack for overreacting to the smallest dilemmas, but Applejack felt that there was something seriously wrong with her friend this time. Whenever something initially bothered Twilight, she never hesitated to speak about it, no matter how trivial it was.

The blonde closed her eyes. This was different. Twilight was going out of her way to hide what was really bothering her lately. While her friends may not have been able to see past her act, Applejack could see a lie from a mile away. Some may argue that her Element of Harmony helped in that regard, but Applejack would just say that Twilight was a horrible liar. Simple as that.

Diving into the depths of her mind, Applejack tried to recollect when Twilight's behavior changed, and nearly that same moment, her large emerald irises shot open at a realization. This had been going on for days, but it all started since that day at Zecora's when she and Twilight learned about Peter's past. Applejack tapped her hoof against her chin as she pondered if that truth was becoming too much for Twilight to keep to herself.

A burst of pink energy a few feet away brought Applejack back to reality. Once the energy dissipated, Twilight readied to return to the main hall, but Applejack stepped out in her path, forcing the unicorn to stop in her tracks.

"Applejack, what are you doing?" Twilight questioned as her hooves shuffled in place, resisting the urge to gallop onward and through the pony blocking her path. "I need you to--"

"No," Applejack firmly said, not giving Twilight a chance to finish. She walked forward and closed the gap between herself and the unicorn until they were only inches apart. "We need ta' talk."

Her tone was steady, matched only by the glare held in her eyes. Twilight, taken aback from the sudden show of seriousness, forced her hooves to stop all forms of motion.

"Something's wrong with you..." she stopped and raised her hoof when Twilight readied to interrupt, "and don't try ta' tell me there ain't. You've been acting strange for a while now." She placed her hooves on her shoulders, bringing her gaze to meet her own. "As yer friend, Ah want to know the truth."

"I would like to know as well."

Both mares turned at the sound of the mature voice that came from behind. While Applejack's eyes widened slightly at the sight of the snow white, alicorn princess approaching, Twilight felt her heart sink into the bottom of her stomach. Her breathing quickened with each step Celestia took, becoming shallow once the colossal being towered over her. Beads of sweat formed on Twilight's forehead as visions of her worst fears came spiraling across her mind.

"P-princess... C-C-Celestia," Twilight managed to mutter despite her brain's frazzled state. Her lower lip quivered uncontrollably. "W-what are you d-doing h-here?"