Chapter Twenty-One -Race Through Manehattan

Chapter Twenty-One "Race Through Manehattan"

Hundreds to thousands of ponies filled the streets of Manehattan, their roars of applause extending to the furthest reaches of the city. The day had finally arrived, all of the build-up leading to this point. It was a tale of the seasoned veteran taking on the up-and-coming rookie, Spitfire and Spider-Mane. Even the gathered crowd could not help but feel a mismatch in today's event. A unicorn facing off against a Pegasus in an aerial race was almost unheard of, surpassed only by the fact that the Pegasus offered the challenge in the first place.

Everypony wondered what the captain of the Wonderbolts could have been thinking, but Spitfire's answers to the media were often cryptic, usually ending with a simple 'you'll see when the day comes' or 'just seems like it'll be fun'. Perhaps she saw something in the rookie nopony else could and wanted nothing more than to test his mettle. Spider-Mane may have been strong, but it was left to see if his speed could match his strength.

In the sea of ponies gathered for the event, only a few physically showed their support for the hero. Derpy, sitting by the starting line, wore her signature t-shirt with a heart next to Spider-Mane's face, and she also carried a flag in her mouth, the words 'Spidey's #1 Fan' being etched into it. Across the street from her position was Spider-Mane's entourage, all wearing crimson and navy blue ribbons around their necks and hooves. Even Princess Celestia and Princess Luna displayed their support subtly by donning the same ribbons around their necks.

However, with a navy blue cheerleader's uniform around her frame, a design of Spider-Mane's insignia over her chest, Pinkie Pie raised a pair of crimson pompoms high over her head, ecstatically showing her support via enthusiastic cheers and rhymes.

"Spider-Mane! Spider-Mane! Go--!" she held the note, lowering her pom poms, before leaping to the highest of her ability. "Spider-Mane! Woo-hoo!"

The others chose not to intervene in their friend's 'performance', partially out of fear that they would be forced to join in the activity. The ever-stoic Trixie was the unfortunate soul that crossed Pinkie's line of sight earlier. Without a chance to form a rebuttal, namely due to the pink mare's speedy mouth, she was thrown into a matching cheerleader's uniform and handed a pair of pom poms as well. As much as the former magician wanted to support her friend, Parker, she wished to retain some form of dignity, but it seemed that was a small price to pay for having allies now.

Trixie sighed. Only today would she stoop so low. "Hoo-rah. Hoo-rah." The unicorn blankly stated, mirroring Pinkie Pie's motions with an immense look of exasperation. "Spider-Mane. Hoo-rah."

As both mares continued their cheering, the others conversed, passing by what little time remained before the beginning of the main event, but one remained to herself, keeping her gaze fixed on the starting line while her mind attempted to sort out the countless thoughts that filled it to the brim. Several hours had passed since that special incident, and Twilight still could hardly believe what had transpired. She kissed Peter but ran away the moment after, leaving the librarian's heart to question the actions of both her mind and body.

Memories of the morning after played through her mind, adding to her pent up stress. She watched as her friends (rather the ones that knew his secret) wished Peter good luck before departing, but for reasons unknown, Twilight could not bring herself to do the same. She could hardly sleep, the images of their kiss refusing to give her any peace of mind. It was easy to imagine Peter going through the same ordeal, causing Twilight to further chastise herself.

How could she have been so selfish? The race with the Wonderbolts' top flier was sure to require all of his focus, and after what happened last night, it was safe to assume a majority of Peter's attention was elsewhere. Twilight shook her head disapprovingly. It didn't help that she was directly avoiding contact with him, too. Eventually, she would talk to him, but only after when she comes to terms with her emotions. It was unfair. For all she knew, Peter felt as if the entire situation was just a tease, and Twilight scolded herself for leaving such an impression.