Chapter Fifty-Nine "Endgame, Part III of IV"

A pegasus trotted through the courtyard with imbalanced steps, her control on her wobbling hooves and flapping wings wavering. Her large, blue irises were wide, with her concerned gaze alternating between the path ahead and the projections in the sky. She desperately wanted to know what was happening, her heart growing heavier by the second. Despite the large number of ponies around her, the dark brown mare felt disjointed and alone.

There was only one that she knew, and it was more of an acquaintance due to the short time that they'd known each other. After a brief journey of sorts, the pegasus reached the balcony, earning wary glares from a pair of armored stallions before nodding at the sight of a tall and majestic alicorn standing amidst a group of considerably shorter ponies. She forced her way through, excusing herself with each accidental bump until she reached the princess.

"Miss Celestia, please! I can't stand being locked up in a room at a time like this!" the mare pleaded, brushing a hoof through her short yet silky grey mane. Nearly losing her balance, the pegasus turned and slammed her hoof into the ground. A stallion arched his brow, only to direct his attention back to the sky. The mare shook her head as her eyes swelled with tears. "This is too much. Poor Spike was killed, and I just saw what that monster did to Gwen. Twilight and Peter are still fighting!" She choked back a sob. "I just want my boy back. I don't want to lose him again."

Celestia lowered her head, managing to give the distraught mare a warm smile. "Of course. You're more than welcome to stay here. It is best for all of us to lend Twilight and the others our support." The alicorn paused, shifting her gaze to the side momentarily. "You don't have to worry about Spike. It was only his spiritual vessel that was destroyed. Spike is right here."

The baby dragon walked out from behind the princess, sharing a glance with the pegasus. "Um, hi?"

However, he arched a brow in befuddlement as the mare mirrored his action. "You're so... tiny."

Spike blinked, tilting his head to the side. "Have we met?"

Celestia gave the pair an affirming nod. "I see. Your reactions are understandable. Both of your appearances were significantly different the last time you saw each other." The alicorn smiled. "Spike. Allow me to reintroduce you to Peter's aunt, May."

Zecora sat within the walls of the castle with her legs crossed, hooves placed together, and eyes closed. The commotion outside made it difficult for the mare to connect with the spirit world. With slow, deep breaths, Zecora's mind drifted into a white realm. Strands of webbing spread throughout the vicinity, each carrying an image of a friend deep within its threads. A black spider bearing Princess Luna's cutie mark on its back remained perched near the center, acting as its guardian while keeping its bug-like blue eyes centered on the intruding mare.

Suddenly, Peter appeared across from Zecora's position, the stallion hyperventilating as his body shook. Clouds of darkness materialized under his hooves, stretching out until the unicorn's form was engulfed by the black smog. Zecora's eyes widened. The moment she reached out to help her friend, Peter's screams generated a shockwave potent enough to destroy the floor. The mare fell into an endless abyss, yelping in surprise once a large pair of slitted, blue irises appeared in front of her.

Zecora inhaled sharply, waking from her trance. Beads of sweat rolled down the mare's cheeks as she gathered her bearings through labored breaths. "Such anger. Suchrage. Nightmare's return may soon take center stage." The mare's hoof fell over her chest, a small twinge pulling at her heart. "I can still sense your pain and guilt. You are only lost. Twilight and Princess Luna may be able to save Peter before he pays an immeasurable cost." Zecora retook her meditative stance before turning her ocean blue gaze skyward. "Please come back to the light. Without you, we cannot finish this fight. It is time for you to return to Princess Twilight."