Chapter 5

The venue for the awards function was stunning. They always had a theme for the night, and this year the committee had chosen the 'Academy Awards'. As they pulled up alongside the red carpet, there were valet's ready to open car doors and park the vehicles in the secure carpark. Vintage streetlamps lined the carpet and held up the customary red velvet rope, which acted like a barrier for the people pretending to be paparazzi and fans. As Jackies car door was opened for her, she flashed back to earlier on that day when Dom had opened her car door. She felt a surge of emotion that she couldn't explain. Like her insides were in a tumble dryer. It was a weird sensation that she had never experienced. It quickly passed as Jackie and Luke started walking down the red carpet. It was just like Jackie had imagined Oscars night would be. People yelling at her to face them so they could take her picture. Jackie posed her best Angelina Jolie impression as the lights flashed all around her. She felt like a super star.

As they walked into the foyer they were surrounded by gold statues, and red velvet was draped around the walls. Jackie felt very pleased that she had chosen the burgandy dress to wear. As a child she had grown up in second hand clothes that never really fit properly. She had been ridiculed and bullied pretty much all through her school years and this had contributed to her strong personality. Luke took her arm like a protective father and directed her towards the bar.

"Sauvignon Blanc is it?" he asked.

"Yes please," Jackie replied.

"I'll be right back."

Jackie looked around the room desperately searching for someone she knew to go and talk to. Across the room she thought she saw familiar blond locks bobbing over the top of the crowd. Her heart skipped a beat and she told herself to stop seeing things that aren't there. Dom said he wasn't going to be here tonight.

She spotted Luke, with two glasses of wine in his hands, as he was stopped by some well known business clients. Jackie turned to make her way across the crowded room to join him and the much needed nectar that he was holding

"You look amazing Jackie. Sandra Bullock has nothing on you."

Jackie stopped dead in her tracks as she heard that now all too familiar voice from behind her. Trying to turn gracefully, her stiletto heel seemed to stay put and she stumbled slightly. Strong hands caught her shoulders and helped her straighten up. Feeling anxious and completely embarrassed, she wished the ground would open up and swallow her.

"Falling for me already?" Dom smiled that silly boyish grin. Dressed in a navy dinner suit, with white shirt, black loafers and a black tie, he looked like he was about to walk down the runway at a fashion show.

"No. Just new shoes that I haven't had time to break in yet." Jackie replied curtly. "I didn't think you were going to be here tonight?"

"Dad's CFO is ill so I am taking his place."

"Great." Jackie suddenly felt like she was about to collapse but managed to put on her business smile. "You will be sitting at our table then. Can I get you a drink? Luke has just gone to get some."

"Shouldn't I be getting you the drinks? Normally the guy buys on the first date don't they?"

Jackie could feel the heat of her body rise up through her face. She hoped it wasn't visible in this dim lighting. "Maybe in the dark ages Dom, and besides this isn't a date. As you are my client It is my job to entertain you tonight," Jackie replied reminding both Dom and herself that she was actually working.

"Mmmm entertain me eh. Looking forward to it" Dom replied under one raised eyebrow.

"Ah Dom. I'm surprised to see you here." Luke had returned with the refreshments.