Five

Jack

"Baby!" I woke up to Casey's scream scaring the shit out of me. Once my eyes shot open, I saw Casey giggling next to me. "I just wanted to know if you'd wake up if my water breaks during the night." She shrugs and gets out of bed, only wearing panties and a shirt that showed half of her butt.

"You're so evil." I mumbled, checking my phone. There was one text by Shane from an hour ago so I decided to check that one first.

From: Shane

'Meet us at the warehouse in two hours.'

This means I have a little more than an hour to get there. Great. What excuse can I use now? Wait- I didn't tell Casey I lost my job, should I tell her I'm going to work? That's not a lie to be honest. This gang thing is indeed my job now.

I jumped out of bed and got ready for the day, preparing to tell Casey I have to leave... again.

"Baby?" I walked into the kitchen, seeing Casey placing two plates on the table. "What's wrong?" Casey asked, noticing the nervous look on my face. "I have to go to work early today." I can tell Casey was a bit disappointed but she shrugged it off and smiled.

"Okay. I had something planned today, but I guess that can wait." She spoke sweetly and walked over to me to peck my lips. "I'll be home soon, babe. I'm sorry." I kissed her one more time before leaving our apartment.

Once I arrived at the warehouse, I saw all of the gang members standing in front of me, each holding a gun. "Today's your training. Carrying and using a gun isn't as easy as it seems." Shane spoke up as he tossed me a gun.

"First rule; never touch the trigger unless you are pointing the gun at your enemy." Shane observed how I held the weapon. "Also, never shoot someone unless you have us as back-up and unless you're sure no one is going to shoot you back." Liam continued as he stuffed the gun in his pants.

"One last thing; all of our guns are unloaded unless there's an attack planned." Luke spoke up, as the rest nodded along. I furrowed my eyebrows, "What if another gang attacks us unplanned?" I asked, which made Xavier scoff.

"We always know when someone's attacking us. Nothing's a secret." Xavier shrugged, "Alright, we're expecting money from Barry's gang in a couple of days. If we do not have the money in two or three days, we'll confront them." Shane suddenly started talking about the business they had started before I joined.

"We're talking about the weapons we sold to this gang. Barry is the leader. Sometimes, we don't get payed back or we don't get payed on time. So we use revenge as our punishment." Shane explained, noticing the confused look on my face.

"Or we kill them, it depends on our mood." Right when Luke blurted that out, I realised I was actually standing in front of coldhearted murderers and if I happened to mess anything up, they would kill me without a warning.

Was I going to become a murderer as well?

Casey

"Hi Sammy," I stepped aside so Sam could walk into Jack and I's apartment. "What's up, why did you want me to come over?" Sam asked, making himself comfortable on the sofa.

"Well, I planned on taking Jack on a date, but he's busy working so I thought I'd invite you over instead." I shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal, but I actually had planned a day for Jack and I to go eat dinner somewhere nice and then go shopping for the baby, since Jack's too excited to wait.

"Wow, since when does he take his job so serious? I thought he'd get fired any time soon." Sam said, making a point. Jack did seem to care less about his job like two days ago and now he's working his butt off. Is it because we're having a baby?

"I don't know, Jack is so complicated. You have to be a psychologist to actually understand him." I shook my head. Jack's always been like this. Stubborn, complex and mysterious. He keeps all of his thoughts and feelings inside and will only let them out if he's on the verge of exploding.

"Don't worry too much, Casey. I know how hard you can overthink and it will only lead to sadness. Talking about sadness, I called Nate earlier and he told me he wants to visit us soon." Sam informed me, making me giggle. "How does sadness makes you think of Nate? That's amazing news!" I squealed, probably hurting Sam's ears.

"I don't know sadness is the opposite of happiness, I guess-" Our useless conversation got interrupted by the front door shutting. "Sam, what are you doing here?" Jack walked in as he sipped from his water bottle.

"I invited him over since you were too busy with work." I spoke for Sam, who just awkwardly stared at me. "Well, I'm home now." Jack informed us, hoping Sam would get the hint. He cleared his throat with a cough and stood up, "I think I'm leaving." Sam mumbled, hugging me against his chest.

"See you later, Jack." Sam bro-hugged Jack as he walked past me, out the door. "That was rude." I crossed her arms stubbornly. "What did I do?" Jack seated himself next to me and pulled me on his lap as he pecked my pouted lips.

"He didn't feel welcome." I placed my arms around his neck and put my nose on his. "I just wanted some time alone with my beautiful wife and my future baby-" Jack's phone buzzed through my pocket, so he placed me back on the sofa and pulled his phone out as a name appeared on the screen.

From: Shane

'Meeting at 7AM tomorrow - we're discussing the Barry situation.'

When Jack looked up, he noticed me reading along. "Who is Shane?" I asked curiously as I bit on my upper lip.

"One of my colleagues." He responded.

« i can't wait to get to the dramatic part of the story - someone familiar is making an appearance & things will be ruined & revealed... so excited! »