Chapter 20

*two weeks later

We were back in the hospital today. Christmas was in two days. We decorated Phil's room with a small electrical Christmas tree, tinsel wrapped around his bed and we often light a scented candle in his room to stop it smelling so medical. We were exactly allowed as it was a fire hazard but they sometimes let us off. We'd sit together playing monopoly for hours then we'd just sit and look at Phil. Doctors told us he could hear everything so we'd have one way conversations with him. He'd been in a coma for two weeks now. I didn't know how long he was supposed in a coma for. Every night, I'd pray for him to wake up. We left the hospital to go and get some dinner. It was chilly outside and I wrapped my parka coat around me. We drove to McDonalds because neither of us felt like cooking. I only had a kids meal and we sat in the car park and ate it silently. Every time I looked at Dan he was a different person to when I'd first met him. He'd lost the twinkle in his eye. His sarcastic humour and I'm not surprised. He's loosing the one he loves. When we just sat on the couch. He tried to make conversation bust we both knew it was hopeless. I looked at the Christmas tree, Phil had assembled it and Dan had done the lights. I'd done the tinsel and we all hung decorations from the twiggy branches. I spotted a few that Phil had put on. One that was the YouTube logo on a bauble someone gave them. Another was a waffle on a plate coated in syrup. They were all really quirky and unique.

We sat there until I heard Dan's slow deep breaths. I looked over and he was asleep. The clock that was draped in tinsel on the fire place read 2:47. I better get to bed.

Xxx