Chapter Five

Chapter Five

“So, since we’re going to be living together, we should get to know each other, right?” I took a sip of my beer, “I’ll start. My name’s Rose and I just turned 25 years old. I just graduated from University and start teaching English at a language school from Monday. Now your turn”

“Well my name’s Tyler and I’m 23, almost 24 years old. I am a writer and graduated from uni in the middle of last year. I have one book published and am now waiting for a new idea to come up”

“You’re already published? That’s pretty cool! What’s the book about?” Tyler’s face lit up and he leaned forward in his chair,

“It’s a sci-fi book set in the future. Robots have taken over earth and the human race is dying out. The focus of the book is on a group of humans who are set on wiping out the robots and repopulating the human race” Tyler had become quite animated during his explanation, he must have a real passion for his work.

“That sounds really interesting. What’s the title of the book? I’m sure I’ll still be able to find it now. I want to read it!”

“I have a copy if you want to borrow it”

“Is that ok? You don’t want me to buy it?”

“What are roommates for?” Tyler grinned and I couldn’t help grinning back. It was at that moment in which I realised how good looking Tyler was. I quickly shook those thoughts out of my head as I felt my cheeks burn. I cleared my throat,

“Uh, so it’s already seven so I’ll make us some dinner” I stood up and walked back into the house.

“You can cook?” Tyler asked, following me.

“You can’t?” I shot back, placing my beer bottle into the recycling bin.

“No way! I always have take away or buy something microwavable from the dairy. This situation may very well work in my favour. Want another beer?” Tyler asked as he opened the fridge.

“Yes please. I’m not that great at cooking, though. Also, in return you’ll have to do the dishes” I opened the new beer then looked into the pantry, seeing what I could make with the groceries my parents had bought me.

“Oh what? A mediocre dinner is what you give me and then I have to do the dishes? I think I got the raw end of that deal!” I grinned as I grabbed spaghetti,

“Your fault for not learning how to cook. Spaghetti Bolognese ok for you?”

“Anything is ok for me” Tyler sat on a stool on the other side of the bench, watching me prepare the meal. “So do you have any brothers or sisters?”

“Nah, I’m an only child. That is also why my parents spoil me rotten. How about you?”

“One older sister. Her name’s Melanie and she also lives in Auckland. Melanie is a therapist”

“How old is she?” I asked, placing the mince in the microwave to thaw it out.

“She’s twenty eight now so she’s five years older  than me. Mel is pretty cool, everyone gets along with her”

“Or she makes them think they get along with her” I joked. Tyler laughed, again making me realise just how good looking he was.

“Yeah, you better watch out or she may shrink you!”

“Oh no! I don’t want to meet her! Who knows what crazy stuff she will find out about me. Then she’ll tell you and then you’ll be all ‘Wow, you’re crazy’ and then move out and then a new person from the past will move in and-” Tyler leaned over and put a finger to my lips,

“I think I don’t need my sister to tell me you’re crazy” I blushed as Tyler quickly removed his finger,

“Sorry”

“I’m not crazy” I finally said breaking the awkward silence, “I just have a sane impairment”

“Sane impairment? What does that even mean?” I shrugged my shoulders as I stuck the spaghetti into the boiling water, my back facing Tyler.

“Who knows, Tyler, who knows”

“Well you should considering you said it! And they let YOU be an English teacher!”

“Hey I can speak the englee justa fine”

“Yeah and I can fly” I spun around, eyes wide,

“Really? Show me!” Tyler chuckled,

“Don’t burn my dinner, Shakespeare”

“Believe me, it is not possible for me to burn anything! I am a master chef” I grinned, turning back to the dinner. I think I was going to enjoy this year.

So here is the next instalment, did you enjoy it? The characters personalities are shown more in this chapter as they start to get to know one another. Please vote and comment! Facebook page is in the external link!

Thank you very much to all my reviewers….I really appreciate your support and every comment makes me feel all fuzzy inside!