Chapter 13

There comes a point in life where you have to let go. It's an internal battle that'll wear down your mental but you have to fight. It'll lead to a priceless goal.

A better present, and a brighter future.

••

Naomi-

I held onto my jacket tightly as the wind whipped past my face. The weather here is no better than Toronto. The tips of finger were turning raw, even through the wool gloves that covered them. All I desperately wanted was to be in my warm condo, wrapped up in a blanket while sipping on hot chocolate and watching re-runs of SNL.

"Just a couple more blocks," I said lowly to myself

"Naomi!" I heard someone call out

I turned around in the slippery sidewalk to see a perky Jhene approaching me.

"What's up? Walk with me," I linked my arm with hers

"Let's have a movie night? Me, you, Aysia, and Zoe!"

God knows I wanted to spend this evening alone, even if that meant drowning in my own pity.

"Yeah, sure."

One last block and we were finally entering my apartment building. I said a quick hello to Jeffery before grabbing my mail and getting onto the elevator.

"So what are you feeling tonight? A love story or something funny?" Jhene asked as she unwrapped her scarf

"Something funny, I need a good laugh."

The elevator rang, alerting us that we were finally on my floor. I reached in my pocket and pulled out my key.

"Zoe just texted me, she's on her way with snacks, what time does Aysia get off?"

"At like 8..." I slowed down my pace as I noticed someone sitting at my doorstep

It couldn't be.

The figure stood up, straightening their jacket out before pulling off their hoodie.

"Hey, Naomi," he smiled as he made his way towards me

I was frozen in one place, I thought I had gotten away from him.

"A-Aubrey..." I said lowly as he pulled me into a hug

His touch was still everything I remember. Warm yet somehow sensual.

I came to my senses and pushed him off of me, I can't fall under his spell again.

"Um, come on Jhene," I grabbed her hand and brushed passed him, unlocking my door seconds later

"Naomi, you can't just leave him out here," she glared at me, "He looks like he's been through hell and back," she said lowly

"You can come in," she waved him over

Last time I checked this was MY house, how is just going to invite him in like that?

I kicked off my shoes and walked into the kitchen so I could brew up some tea and coffee. I could hear his footsteps behind me, making me involuntarily roll my eyes.

"Just, give me a second Aubrey," I sighed

______________

Aubrey-

I nodded my head before walking off into the living and taking a seat on the plush white couch.

The decor of this place was beautiful. Elegant yet had a homey feel to it.