Chapter 40

Chapter 40 - Abigail's POV

It was five minutes to two, and I was waiting impatient in the hallway as the clock’s handle continued to tick around its face. My phone was in my left hand, and Yale’s letter in my right. For some reason, I knew that it would be useful at some point in the trip.

Just as my patience meter was about to explode, the doorbell rang, causing me to rush to the door at top speed. I opened it quite fast, letting a gush of wind rush past me. I looked up and smiled widely as I saw Max standing there, looking as handsome as ever. He smiled back at me, and stepped closer, until the only space left between us were the gaps between atoms.

“How’s my favourite girl doing?” He whispered, his smile growing bigger. I giggled and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Doing well thanks,” I whispered back. He chuckled and kissed my forehead. I slightly pouted, making him chuckle even more.

“Alright, alright,” he replied, and gently pressed his lips against mine. I couldn’t help but pull him closer to me. He laughed, making my heart leap.

“Mind getting a room or something?” I heard the familiar voice of my step brother say. I quickly pulled away, my cheeks flushing bright red. Tyler laughed, but his face soon changed to a serious expression. “Have a good time Abby,” he said, and then looked at me seriously, “Just remember what I told you.” I sighed and nodded.

“I won’t forget,” I replied, shuffling my hair out of my eyes. Max frowned and I shook my head. “Let’s go.” I pushed Max, nearly making him trip. Tyler handed me my luggage bag and hand bag, before waving to me.

“See you! And tell Jenna I say hello.” I smiled and nodded.

“I’ll make sure I do that first minute I see her,” I replied with a wink. Tyler glared at me, but smiled back anyway.

“You ready to go then?” Max asked, taking my giant bag, and putting it into his car. I nodded quite excitedly, and got into the car. Max slammed the back door shut before hopping into the driver’s seat. “Good. We just need to stop at the supermarket, because I want to collect a couple things.” I nodded, and then frowned.

“What things?” I asked. Max hesitated for a moment.

“Just... things.” He turned to smile at me. “I mean, what do you normally get at supermarkets?” I smiled back at him, and nodded. But for some reason, I wasn’t sure if I could believe him. There was something in his voice that sounded uncertain. As if he was lying. I sat back in my seat as Max drove out of our drive way and onto the road. The closest supermarket was about 5 minutes away, so it didn’t take us long to reach it. Max parked in an empty spot at the parking area, and sighed.

“Mind waiting for me in the car? I won’t be long, okay?” He smiled and pecked my cheek. I nodded.

“Yeah, no problem,” I replied and smiled. He chuckled, and grabbed his wallet that lay next to the hand gear.

“See you in a couple minutes,” he whispered.

“See you.” As soon as he’d left, I sat back in my seat and relaxed a little better. It somehow seemed as if Max had some sort of charm over me. As if he was controlling me. I watched him as he entered the automatic doors. His words seemed to stay on replay on my mind; “I want to collect a couple things.” It seemed so strange how he’d said it, and the fact that he didn’t seem to want me to follow him was even stranger. I rubbed my temples and sighed as I watched people walking in to the store, and watched them coming out carrying bags from different shops. Some had supermarket bags, some even with drugstore bags.