Chapter 22

Grace

I took a deep breath and turned around too Alex to see him pulling at his tie uncomfortably. We were getting ready for the dinner with my mom and her boyfriend. I was still iffy on Robert, but I had to be happy for her if she was happy because she's waited for this opportunity for a while.

Having a teenage daughter and a full time job really closes the window for starting anything. It all came together for me. She didn't go to the firm on her day off. I was suspicious from that point, but didn't question it.

My biggest problem with this was that I didn't want this to end up like my dad. She didn't deserve it, she's such a great woman.

I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror trying to perfect my hair. I straightened out my dress and waddled in place nervously as I turned around and smiled at Alex.

"How do I look?" I asked cautiously. He stopped pulling at his tie and smiled at me. My cheeks burnt when I noticed his eyes travel up and down.

"Hot." He whispered. He tried pulling off one of those fuckboy looks and bit the bad corner of his lip and winced. "Fucking shit." He swore cradling his hands around his mouth. I stifled a laugh and shook my head. He was an idiot, but he was my idiot.

"Ready fuckboy?" I asked holding out my hand. He nodded and opened my bedroom door to see my mom stand back in surprise and smile.

"Oh! I was just about to ask if you guys were ready!" My mom said happily. It's been a while since I've seen her this happy, it made my heart swell. Robert agreed to meet us there and I might've, maybe, tried to procrastinate.

"Yup we are Mrs. Adams." Alex said, my mom's face fell blank before she. smiled and rubbed her hand down his arm.

"Please, call me Rebecca." She said softly and squeezed his hand. He smiled at her, completely oblivious to what just happened.

My mom hated being called Mrs. Adams because it brought up too many memories for her, but Alex wouldn't catch onto what he said. His obliviousness is something I wish I had. Sadly, my perception of reality and just how real it is, is something I've been cursed with.

"Well let's get going shall we?" My mom said pushing us outside of my room and down the stairs. Alex and I got into the backseat, while my mom got into the drivers side and proceeded to start our journey.

The whole way towards the restaurant I held Alex's hand despite the sweat that built up. At one point I pulled away to wipe my hand on my dress, but immediately put my hand back into his. He was my sense of comfort, somehow he just eased my nerves.

"Ready?" It was then that I snapped out of my trance and looked to my right and saw the restaurant out of the car window. Alex opened his side door and helped me out of the car.

"It's going to be fine, I promise." Alex whispered in my ear as I stood up. He shut the car door and laced his fingers through mine as we walked towards the door, where even in the distance, I could make out Robert's figure.

Each step, I felt not only my feet hurt from these torturous heels, my my heart skip a beat from my nervousness, my head spin trying to wrap my head around it, my hands sweat, even with winter approaching. Its funny how I felt this by only walking, but regardless it still felt extremely surreal.

"Grace! So happy you could join! Who's this?" Robert said smiling with his arm nicely tucked around my mom's waist. My stomach twisted as I smiled and looked up at Alex.

"Robert, this is Alex, my boyfriend." I whispered squeezing his hand. Alex smiled a thin lipped smile and held out the hand that wasn't occupied by mine. Robert nodded and firmly shook his hand.