28. Cedric

After school, Zeph told me to meet him in the gym. I'm not sure of the reason for all this uncertainty but I didn't feel like arguing. When the last bell rings, I see Kimberly in the hallway, walking alone.

"Cedric??" She squeaks and runs towards me.

"Hey!" I say, hugging her.

"I'm so glad you're okay. I-I was worried.." She stutters. She examines me with her eyes and rubs my hair.

"You look so different." She says with a side smile.

"Yeah I guess so. I'm really sorry about the whole.. Gay thing. I really do love you. But I can't create an attraction that isn't there." I explain, changing the subject.

"Ced, its okay. I had a feeling something wasn't right. I just couldn't put my finger on it. And then you started seeing Tevon. I still don't want you to, but its your choice." She says.

"Your cousin loves me." I tell her.

"Then why isn't he here?" She says, before walking off. I soak in what she said, and I put my headphones in and start slowly walking to the gym. I get in there, its hours before the game starts. I see Zeph sitting on the very top row beside the press box. I climb up the steps and sit beside him.

Out of breath, I begin to speak. "So what's up?"

"Ive been wanting to talk to you about some stuff bro." He begins. I nod, insinuating that I'm listening. "When you woke up, what did you see?"

Why would he ask me this random question. "I honestly couldn't see anything. It was blurry. But a few minutes after, I saw mom and you sitting beside the bed." I say in response.

"Okay, did you hear anything?" He asks, sitting up and putting his arms on his knee and looking down.

"Umm... No. Oh wait! I heard mom cursing someone." I say, scratching my head.

"Yeah. Do you remember who it was?"

"No.. Who was it?"

"Our dad." He says.

"Isadore??" I ask.

"No... Our father. Our real father. He came into your room and tried to win us back after what he did to mom when we were little." He confesses.

I sit back and look up at the ceiling. The lights were bright inside the gym. Ready for game night. I close my eyes and entertain the eye floaters as they move around in the darkness of my eyelids. Different colors. Anything to get my mind off of what my brother just told me.

"Ced!" He yells, poking me back to life.

"Whatever. I don't care. He don't deserve anything from me. But forgiveness and I give him that. But he could kill himself for all I care." I tell him bluntly. At this point nothing matters. I just need to focus on my future success.

"I agree one hundred percent. But what makes him think he can just show up out of nowhere. And bring his new wife?" Zeph says.

"Ohh! I remember now! Mom was dogging her out!" I start laughing. "She called her edges childish."

"Yeah that shit was kinda funny." He laughs with me. I let out a long breath after laughing.

"What time the game start?" I ask as I see the team walking in the gym headed towards the locker room.

"Seven." He tells me, watching them also.

"Shouldn't you be with them?" I say motioning for him to leave.

"Yeah. Seeya later. Wish me luck." He says. We both stand up and walk down the bleachers in different directions. He runs to catch up to the team, and I start wandering the halls. I look at NY reflection everytime I pass a window. I don't even know who I am anymore. I don't feel like Cedric.