23. Cedric

I opened my eyes and rubbed them. Getting all the eye crust out, from crying all night. I immediately grabbed my phone and checked for messages or calls. One from TJ... He left a voicemail.

I hesitate before clicking play. The sun was barely rising, and it was still freezing. I cut my car on for some heat. Early birds are walking around me, jogging, walking pets. I even see some dope boys making drops, which is stupid to do in the middle of the city.

I huff and puff and I press play.

"... Ced, I-I know you probably don't wanna hear this, but I really have feelings for you. I can't go a second without thinking about you being in my arms, keeping me warm, and lovin on me and stuff." His voice was dry and cracking. Like he'd been crying. Or he just woke up.

"But what I've shown you isn't acceptable, and I understand that. I shouldn't have hit you, but my ego got a hold of me and I didn't wanna face the truth. I didn't want you to know that Kim was my cousin because she played me out to be this crazy vicious person which I'm not. I only hit that dude that ONE time because everything he said was true. And I couldn't handle the truth, so I fought my way out of it, and it landed me in prison. You have a lot on your plate right now. You got a scholarship and shit. You don't need to be messing around with me right now. I want you to focus on getting into that school of yours and staying there." He continues.

Is he really breaking up with me right now?

"I don't wanna see you get hurt... Stay in your books and your schoolwork. I promise I'll still be here. I want you to be successful, and I want to he successful too... I'm going to Afghanistan to serve another term. It's what's best for everyone." He says. I shake my head in disbelief. "I love you..." The phone clicks and I hang up. I low key get what he's trying to say, but I can't help but to think about what things would be like without him. He can't just leave me like this!

"FUCK!" I scream. I quickly put my car in drive and speed through downtown, avoiding traffic at all costs. I don't know when TJ's leaving, so I'm going asap.

*********

Forty-five minutes of driving in the same direction, I finally reach east Atlanta. I swerve through midtown traffic until I arrive to TJ's subdivision. I stop right in front of his house, and I see his truck with the trunk wide open, and a bunch of big army bags stuffed to capacity inside. No!

I get out of the car, and I run up to his porch to knock on the door, and I'm met by TJ busting outside in his full gear and a duffel bag over his shoulder, scaring the life out of me. I jump back and I fall backwards. I feel sharp pains in the back of my head and everything went dark.

*************

TJ POV

After I called Cedric, and left a message, I made myself a drink and called my base. They told me they were shipping soldiers out today, and if I wanted to come I had go come as soon as possible. I started packing right after that. I didn't wanna waste anymore time in this house. Everything reminds me of everything and it's just too much. I find my old uniform and I put it on.

I load up my car with duffel bags full of clothes and memoir's. I brought a picture of me and my mom right before she died, and a bunch of other nick nacks I collected throughout my life. I come across the picture of Kim and I, as kids. The same one Zeph saw that day. I stick it in my bag as a small tear falls down my cheek.

"Shit." I whisper, looking at my clock. I had an hour to get to the base. I lock up everything, and I grab my phone and keys and throw my bag over my shoulder. I walk to my front door and I see Cedric running towards the door. I gasp and he slips and falls off the porch, hitting his head on the ground.