10. TJ

Cedric - MM

"Hey Kimmy. " I say, into the phone. It's been six months since I've seen my baby cousin. I'd just got shipped back to the states from Iraq.

"Hey Tevon!" She says, in surprisement. "Are you back??"

"Yeah, aunt Geneva said I could come pick you up from school." I said, she was already a sophomore in high school, and I remember it like it was yesterday. We were little, and I had just met her, and she was a baby could barely walk. I was about six, and I picked her up and sat her in my lap. My mom snapped a picture of us both smiling, and from then on, me and my baby cousin been close.

"Okay! I'll see you then!" She says, sounding very excited.

"Aight." I hang up the phone and I drive to her school. When I get there, I see a million students flood out of the front of the building. I guess the bell had just rung. I parked and stood beside my truck, awaiting the arrival of my cousin. I was standing in piece until a dude I knew from my childhood walks up.

"I remember you!" He says.

I shrug my shoulders.

"You used to fuck dudes in the ass back in highschool!" He busts out laughing and pointing. "You was a faggot!" He says and keeps laughing.

When I first came out in highschool, he was one of my worst bullies. I hated the fact that we breathe the same air. But the sound of that faggot word, it does something to me. It angers me. I marched up to the dude, and I snatch off his hat, and hit him in the side of his neck with my fist. He felt back, choking and I stooped down to his level and I punch him repeatedly until I felt blood between my fingers, and he pleaded me to stop. A crowd formed and I stopped hitting him for a second.

"I'm sorry! Please.." I thought of what he said again and didn't wanna hear it, so I stood up and stomped his mouth until he stopped making noise.

"Tevon what are you doing???" I hear a girl scream. It was Kim. I stood up and walked towards her to hug her, but she backed up, crying.

"Look what you did! Stay away from me!" She screams and runs into one of her teachers and cries. I turned around to see the dude laying on the ground, blood and snot dripping from his face onto the street.

"Oh no.." I say. "What did I do??" I put my hands on my head and I start to panic, and after a few minutes I hear sirens.

"Tevon James! You are under arrest for physical distress on a citizen, while in uniform." A cop screams, and he pins me against the side of my truck and cuffs me. I look to the side and see Kimberly crying. Standing next to her was a tall dark skinned kid with dreads, and next to him was a short brown skinned boy with a large head of curly hair, and warm brown eyes. He was talking on the phone, walking around. Not even paying attention to what I did.

I was shoved into a small police car after they read my my rights. When my trial came, the judge sentenced me to five years and eight parole. Only because I didn't kill the bastard, just beat the shit out of him.

When the hammer went down, my family stood behind me and my lawyer, along with my Sargent, crying. Kim's cries overpowered them all. I felt bad that she had to see that. But I don't regret any of it.

THREE YEARS AND SIX MONTHS LATER

They said my behavior was so good during my sentence, they let me out a year and a half early, with an extra year of parole. I don't have to wear no ankle bracelet or nothing, I just can't go near the high school, or the man I fucked up.

When I got out, I talked to the people at the military housing facility, and they gave me a small townhouse I could rent until I get back on my feet. I got a job as a security guard at a few clubs, and that kept food on the table. One of my homeboys, Johnny was a Trap Lord and had a little brother in high school, that he let supply for him, and smoke with. One day me and him was chillin, and his brother came in, with about five other dudes. One of which was the one that caught my eye the day I got arrested. He looked older, and sexier.

"Stacks why you bring all these fools in here? They better have some money!" Johnny said.

"They cool, mo." He says, and the rest of them hand him cash.

I examined the boy I noticed, and there was something different about him. His eyes weren't the warm innocent brown I saw before. Maybe I'm tripping.

"Aye y'all, I'm throwing a back to school bash this weekend. Y'all down?" Stacks asked. The rest of his crew nodded.

"Ima see if my brother wanna go." The boy says.

"Zeph yo brother is a lame." Stacks laughs.

"Aye Ced ain't no lame. He just ain't our sellin dope and shit." Zeph says. So that's his name.

"What the fuck that supposed to mean?" Johnny said, standing up.

"Whoa, calm down bruh." I say motioning him to sit back down. I take a hit from the blunt I was smoking.

"Man, fuck that. Gimme that shit." Johnny snatches it from me and puffs it.

"So where this party gone be at?" Zeph asked.

"East side." Stacks said.

"Way over there?? Ima have to crash somewhere." Says Zeph.

"I got a couch." I offered.

"Word? How many? Cause my brother might come too." He said.

"Two. And you and your brother the same size right? Cause y'all ain't finna be breaking my shit." I laugh.

Everyone laughs except Johnny.

"Yeah we twins yo." Said Zeph. Ohhhh I get it now. I knew there was something different.

"Oh well I got plenty of room, y'all can crash for the night or whatever. We can all swing by the party." I say.

"Cool." He said, fist pumping me. We all chilled for a few hours until the young ones had to go back to school. I pulled out my phone to let my cousin know I was back. I dialed Kim's number and she instantly answered.

"Hello who is this?" She asks.

"It's Tevon." I say.

"What?? How are you calling me??" She asks, wirh mad edge in her voice.

"I'm out now cousin. I wanna see you." I say to her.

"No! Never! I don't wanna see you! Don't call me again please. And don't call my mom either." She says before hanging up. Damn...

"Shit!" I yell, throwing my phone down.

"Wassup foo?" Johnny asks me.

"Nun, it's cool." I say, and I hit the blunt once more.