25. TJ

After about a week of balancing my options, I finally chose to go back to the army. But I was too late to get shipped so my drill sergeant insisted that I went through basic training again. Part of this makes me think it was because of my criminal record but whatever. This city has nothing to offer me. Especially after what happened to Cedric.

I still hate myself for what happened. I dragged him into my mess and I fell in love. I think he did too. I hope he did. But I guess it's for the best. And whenever he wakes up, he'll be living his normal life again. Finish school, and go to college. Anyways, I've been back for six weeks and we're approaching the end of training.

"Good to have you back, James." One of the commanders say, as I approach the assembly line. I feel at home, kinda. We're outside in the blazing heat in full gear, standing in front of a huge course.

"Today you will be timed on an obstacle course. If you finish in under ten minutes, you pass. If not, goodbye." Another commander screams.

"Yes sir!" We all shout in unison. The whole time I've been here, I can't stop thinking about Ced. He was my boo, my everything. Ugh I feel like a sap, but I can't help myself.

"Go!" A shot gun fires into the air and the first soldier starts the course. He's flying through all the obstacles and not messing up not one bit. He makes it to the end in 6 minutes.

"Great work, Williamson...." The Drill Seargent is at the finish line taking times. He pats him in the back and looks at his clipboard.

"Rodriguez!" A commander roars, and a plump guy walks to the starting point. I can already tell where this is gonna go.

"Go!" The commander shoots another bullet into the air and Rodriguez wobbles through the course, tripping over everything in his path. Bless his fat little heart. He finishes out of breath in 19 minutes.

"James, you're up!" The commander yells. I take deep breaths as I approach the starting point. I take a sprinting stance and I wait for the shot gun. Everything around me slows down as the shot suddenly explodes in sound, and I take off. I zoom through the tires, that are laid out in a path, I climb up an eight foot tall wall, and I leap to the bottom into a roll. I quickly get up and hop over five hurtles, and then I stoop down to the ground and wiggle my way through a barbed wire obstacle, making sure my body doesn't get pierced by the sharp metal. I then stand up, and spring down the last straight away towards the finish line.

"7.8! Great work James!" Drill Sergeant says. I bend over and pant.

"You've proven yourself once again." He continues. I still can't process anything, I just see Cedric's face everytime I close my eyes. I wonder if he's awake yet. Its been two months he has to be.

*********

ZEPHYRUS POV

"Happy birthday little bro." I pat Ced's head as I light the candle to a small cake. I set it on the table beside his hospital bed. He's been in this coma for two months and now he's missing our eighteenth birthday. I come see him everyday. No matter what the situation is, I gotta come see him. I wanna be the first person he sees when he wakes up. I even skipped three basketball play off games because of this. I could loose my scholarship.

"C'mon man.. Make a wish." I whisper to him. His hand jerks, and I grab it. He's always moving his limbs but he never wakes up.

"I wish you'd wake up." I say, bending my head down to his wrist and holding on tight. I lean to the table and blow the candle out and I sigh, still staring at his still body.

"How's it going?" The nurse walks in and sets me a sprite on the table.

"Still no Ced." I chuckle lightly.