Chapter 10: The Return

Denny's POV

"I'm sorry Denny. This is for the best. You deserve a happy life. And if you're going to be happy, it has to be without me. I'm toxic and sooner or later, you'll be poisoned too."

"Casey! Casey wait! Please, just stop! I love you!"

I quickly sat up on my bed, taking deep, sharp breaths.

It was only a dream. Only a dream.

"Another dream?", Hannah asked as she handed me a cup of coffee.

"Yeah."

"How long have you been awake for?"

"Since 2am."

"Aw Den I'm sorry," Hannah said as she hugged me tightly.

"It's just so hard. I miss him."

"We all do. It'll be okay."

"Will it really?! I just lost the love of my life! I'm never going to get him back!"

Casey's POV

"I love you."

"I love you too."

The hours passed slowly. I hadn't been able to sleep for days. Everytime I had tried to force my eyes to close, all I could see was Denny.

Her voice echoes through my mind as I stumble through the darkness, trying to make my way back to Summer Bay.

I miss Denny too much to let her go.

Denny's POV

I paced up and down the same spot where Casey kissed me for the first time, out on the beach near the pier. I held the photograph in my hand close to my chest as my tears began to fall. If only the ocean could engulf me, take away my pain.

This is it. I'm letting go. 

Casey's POV

I saw her standing there on the beach, in the same spot where I kissed her for the first time.

The emotions I felt on that day came flooding through my veins.

I didn't know what I was doing. All I knew was that I had to be with her. And now, that's all I want too.

Just as I was about to walk to her as I emerged from the bushes, I saw her drop something into the ocean, and just like that, she was gone.

Denny's POV

"I'm really proud of you," Hannah said as she passed me my 3rd cup of coffee.

"Thanks I guess. I just miss him."

"I know, and trust me, it will get easier over time."

"Will it? Will it really?"

"Look, it might be hard now but it will get easier. When I lost my sister to cancer I felt like my whole world had fallen apart. And as the days went on it got worse. But I liked to believe that it only felt so wrong because actually my whole world was coming together for the first time. Because after I lost Sarah, Evie and Oscar came into my life. And although they can be a handful, I've always wanted kids and they are the kids I never had. Remember, you have a whole town that's fighting for you here."

I hugged Hannah tightly, embroiding her words into my mind.
"Thank you."

"Everything is going to be okay."

Casey's POV

I took the next bus to the farmhouse, where Denny resided, hiding my appearance to those around me. After all, I was presumed dead. I couldn't let Denny go.

I stood awkwardly on the outskirts of the farm, trying to stay out of sight from any passing neighbours or Denny and her family. Part of me didn't want to do this. But I couldn't live without Denny, let alone live with Denny thinking that I'm dead.

I walked slowly to the front door. I can do this. I can do this. Through the window I could see Denny talking to Hannah in the living room.

One knock. That's all I need. That's all Denny needs.

I brought my hand up near my face.

One knock. That's it.

I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and walked the other way.

_______________________________________________________________________

{A/N: So Casey's not actually dead! I bet you all knew that! Do you think he'll ever tell Denny that he's still alive?!
My sincere apologies for this late chapter, I promise the next one will be up in 4 days maximum. Thank you for those who still read this. I am happy to say that I nearly have 500 reads on this book!}

Dream impossible dreams x

Chantelle