Chapter 4- The Truth

I woke up to the sound of Cassie shrieking about how she couldn’t find her favourite shirt that matches her Gucci purse. I rolled out of bed then pulled out a pair of jeans and a black tank top. I went to the bathroom and quickly showered, brushed my hair and applied some make-up. I don’t wear a lot, just the occasional mascara and eyeliner but don’t pay for it, who would pay for this crap? Stealing is an adrenalin rush, hoping you don’t get caught and you feel accomplished for getting whatever you took for free. To me it's not a crime... it’s a hobby. When I feel I looked appropriate for school I walked downstairs to the kitchen. My Aunt looks at me, she didn’t say anything but I could tell she wasn’t happy with what I was wearing. Ignoring her, I grabbed a bowl and poured some shredded wheat and milk, Cassie came down just a little after me and my Aunt Judy turned around and gently pushed her hair behind her ears.

“Cassandra you look beautiful. I love your top!” I glanced up from my cereal to look at it, it was an ugly pink and the neck was almost high enough to be a turtle neck.

“Thanks Mom. I thought it looked too fancy, but then I remember fancy is better than trashy.” I carried on eating cereal at the table and even though I couldn't see them, I felt them staring at me. I shouldn't care but for some reason, it made me want to drown myself in my cereal.

“You're right honey, some girls just wear low cuts that show everything! Remember less is more and cleavage looks trashy," Aunt Judy stated matter-of-factly.

Did they actually want me to commit suicide in my bowl of cereal? I could feel them glaring at me again. Cleavage looks trashy? Yeah, you tell your daughter that because she has no boobs! For girl who do though, when you wear tight high cuts you feel suffocated. You need to let the girls breath. My shirt wasn’t that low cut anyways. Just because my shirt shows my neck and a little more doesn’t mean I’m trashy. You want to see trashy? Then go to the East side and look at the girls who have shirts show there bellies and the shirts are see-through! Compared to them, I'm practically a nun!

After a while of Cassie and Aunt Judy discussing what they like and subtly commenting on the way I dress, Cassandra started talking to me-

“Are you sure you want to where that to school?" she eyed me up and down. "People can be very judgemental.”

“I’m sure,” I stated and then put my bowl in the sink.

“Okay but I you want tips from me just ask,” She called to me as I began walking upstairs. Like I would want tips from her, she is so annoying and doesn’t even have the same style as me! I picked up my (what colour is the backpack.. add here so it's like grey backpack etc) backpack. I took the bong out then hid it in the back of my closet and made sure that it was hidden by my clothes hanging clumbsily on hangers. I grabbed my  worn out black backpack and walked downstairs again.

Aunt Judy asked me to drop off and pick up Max from school because her and Cassandra would be at the orthodontist after school and she was taking Cassandra out for breakfast before school. For people in the West side grade ten was the first year of high school; you went to elementary school untill the end of grade 6, middle school to grade 9 and you start high school in grade 10. In the East Side there were public school grades, kindergarten to grade eight and then high school nine to twelve. So for all the teenagers my age, this day was special. Probably why Aunt Judy was taking Cassie out to breakfast. I didn’t see why she couldn’t drop Max off, I didn’t even know where the schools were! I found Max brought him to the door and put on my Gwen-favored Rasta shoes, they are probably the most expensive piece of clothing I own. I like shoes, even heels, I just don’t wear fancy shoes often. I know fancy shoes doesn’t seem to match my personality but I’m still a girl.

As I was leaving my Aunt Judy quickly yelled me the directions to Max's school.

“Okay, thanks Auny Judy!” I hollered back.