Chapter 1-The East Side

~ This chapter has just been edited. if you spot any mistakes feel free to point them out :)

The song "Imagine"  by John Lennon flooded from my Ipod through my headphones and into my ears. “You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." I quickly changed the song. He is right, a lot of people have dreams.  I don't dream a lot though. I’ve always heard the most successful people say it all started with a dream, but where I come from, the smartest people know your dreams can’t possibly come true.

I continued to walk through the small streets of East Bellville. I lived here a good portion of my life and it has never ceased to amaze me by how it never changes. I could practically see everything that it was made up of, a few convenient stores, run down house, and the schools. 

 I had just left the small white house that sits on the outskirts of  town. That was my house where I lived with  my brother Josh. It has been just me in him ever since we moved here around four years ago. We moved from the West side after my parents died in a car crash. Been living in this shit hole ever since. It was probably the most drugged up place in the world but I shouldn’t complain since that has become my lifestyle. 

I held the collar of my leather coat over my nose to try and hide it from the smell of  burning rubber from the factories. The wind blew  my blonde hair in front of my face , I let the grip of my coat go to move it off, letting the polluted air seep into my lungs. I hated walking by the factories they stunk so bad. I had to pass them  everyday though, to meet with my friend Stan. 

Stan, is something.  We met as soon as I arrived.  There weren’t many girls around, so when one came they got mulled. Stan was just another creep trying to pick me up when my brother Josh nailed him in the face. I told him I could have taken care of myself but he didn’t listen. Stan was flat on the ground passed out, so we took him back to our place, iced him up, and waited till he woke up. He didn’t press any charges and actually asked if he could stay the night. That’s when we became best friends. 

I smiled while remembering most of the good times I have had with him. I brought myself back to reality when I saw him standing on the corner waving to me.  He ruffled brown hair was blowing in the wind and it looked as if his small figure would blow away too, but his grin went from cheek to cheek weighing him down.  It was the same as everyday  when we met to go to school.

 Well, we never actually went  to school that often.  Instead We skip, we normally just hangout at the half pipe to smoke a joint or go to the convenient store to swipe a few things. Which is what I planned on doing today.

I finally approached Stan. “ Hey there, long time no see,” Stan smiled at me. 

“ What’s up for today?  Half Pipe or convenient store,” I returned the smile. 

“ Neither.” 

“ Well we aren’t going to school. Are we?” I asked worried about the answer. Stan may be eighteen and the only boy I know who hasn’t officially dropped out yet, but if Stan was suggesting we go to school then her must be sick or something.  I use to always wonder why he never dropped out, he just told me that if he made it this far, then what’s the point of giving up. I kind of admire him for it, since most of the guys are all drop outs even Josh. He dropped out to take care of me. I feel bad he since was about to graduate and go play college basketball, but to him my safety was more important. Luckily, Josh is eight years older than me, so he turned eighteen that year because if he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have been able to gain custody of me. Then I would probably have to go live with my Aunt Judy on the West side of town.