Did you watch me sleep?

I sat on the couch in shock, watching as Leo paced in front of me. He muttered to himself and I couldn’t hear what he was saying, just a lot of mumbling.

The shock was beginning to subside, since it had been nearly twenty minutes, and now I wanted to know everything. I mean, he hadn’t hurt me, and he seemed to be trying to keep his ghost-status a secret.

Ghost.

Like, he was a GHOST.

“So you’re a ghost?” I asked him, just needing to hear him say it. He stopped pacing.

“Yes.” He said quietly, not actually looking at me. My mind was racing through thoughts, and I couldn’t control myself. I jumped up, moving too fast for him to react. I pushed my hand straight through his chest. We looked into each other’s eyes, and I’m not sure who was more surprised.

“SHIT!” I shouted, throwing my hand over my mouth as soon as the word was out. I didn''t usually curse, but this wasn't exactly a normal situation. "I mean, wow."

I cstared at his chest and twisted my hand where his lungs should be.

“Yeah.” He replied. We stood for a minute, my hand feeling for something other than air. A grimace came across his face, then irritation.

“Do you have to do that?” He said cuttingly, and I looked down at my hand, still buried in his chest.

“Why, does it hurt?”

“No, it’s just incredibly annoying.”

I withdrew my hand, looking at him wide-eyed, before I let a mischievous grin break out. I poke my hand right through is face. Then I passed my hand through his arm, before poking his chest again.

“Can you not?!” He said loudly, trying to deflect me with his hands, but I passed straight through. I giggled and continued poking him, until my hand collided with something hard.

“OUCH!” I said, cradling my hand in the other and looking for the source of pain. Leo was holding a hardback book. Wait. He was holding a hardback book?

“How’re you holding that?” I asked, watching as he threw it onto the couch.

“I can move objects; you just can’t feel it when I touch you.” He said, smiling a little.

“Why? What’s wrong with me?” I asked, feeling like a total freak. Then again, how often was not being able to feel a ghost’s touch going to put me at a disadvantage in life?

“Oh, it’s just you. You’re a freak.” He said with finality, and I looked down at his harsh words. “I was kidding. It’s all people; none of you can feel ghosts.”

I smiled in relief and looked at him again. He looked really nervous. His handsome face was all creased with worry lines. I put my hand up to smooth them out, but as my fingers passed through his skin, I yanked my hand back. He frowned at me.

“Sorry. I forgot. I was trying to be comforting- you look nervous.”

“I am. Most people would be on the phone requesting an exorcism, or calling a psychiatrist. Hold up- did you say you forgot?” He said the last part in utter disbelief. If I was able to blush, I would have.

“Umm... yeah, sorry.” I kept my gaze fixed firmly on the floor. To my utter amazement, he laughed, loudly and heartily. It was a nice sound, and all the worry lines disappeared from his face. I smiled at the way his face lit up as he smiled... He’s a freaking GHOST, Kiwi!

“You are the only person who would forget they were talking to a ghost.” He said between laughs. “So, I’m guessing you don’t mind if I stay?”