Truth or Dare

I was woken from strange dreams to the sound of my cell ringing.

I immediately sat up straight and answered.

“Hello?”

“KIWI! Get your ass to the park in an hour. It’s been like a month of summer and we haven’t seen you yet!”

I smiled at Sienna’s voice babbling excitedly down the phone.

“Actually, Si, it’s been four days.”

“STILL! THAT’S LIKE FOREVER!”

“Ok, Si, I’ll see you there in an hour. Wait that’s a little early isn’t it?”

“What? Kiwi, it’s four in the afternoon.”

My eyes went wide with shock. I turned to my clock and couldn’t believe the time.

“Crap, I really overslept! Ok, yeah I’ll see you then!”I put down the phone without waiting for her to answer, and leapt up.

I started running as soon as my feet touched the floor, but my sheets were still wrapped around my legs, resulting in the most embarrassing fall in history. I fell flat on my face, with my arms flailing around me ridiculously.

I stayed on the ground, groaning into the carpet, and I heard a laugh.

My head whipped around, but no one was there.

“Leo?” I called. “Bathroom mirror?”

I untangled myself and ran to the bathroom, only to find... absolutely nothing.

Maybe I imagined it. Thinking about it, it kind of sounded like it was only half there.

Then, the little flower clock in the bathroom caught my eye. Great. Now I had exactly fifty three minutes to get myself ready and get to the park.

I threw on my clothes, not even looking outside to check if I’d be cold in just shorts and a tank top. As soon as I’d run a brush through my black hair, I put on some black eyeliner. It usually made my brown eyes a little darker. My skin was a little tanned, so I didn’t usually bother with anything else. I wouldn’t say I was pretty, but I wasn’t ugly either. There were few people out there that I could say were ugly. It usually helped if they were a horrible person.

My features weren’t bad individually- it’s just they weren’t combined with each other on many other faces. Basically, I looked different to my friends, who had big eyes and small, sweet lips. Or my friend who had little, cute eyes that sparkled, with straight noses and plump lips. I had small eyes that seemed to lack sparkle, and small lips. My nose was straight, but I wasn’t happy with its shape.

I sighed in the mirror, then looked at the clock. Ten minutes.

I ran down the stairs and pulled my shoes on, hopping around the hall, then I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl. I put it on the little table in the hall and went to grab my purse. I picked up the apple and ran out the door.

I was running to the park, but I was starving, so I decided to multi-task. I bit into my apple- and choked.

I looked into my hand to see some paper that I’d eat.

I looked back to the rest of the apple and saw a post-it (with a bite out of the corner)

‘Have fun’

I stopped and turned around, smiling back at my house. I hoped, if he was still nearby, he’d see.

I turned the corner, and ran the rest of the way.

**************************************************************

I arrived at the park a little out of breath.