Post-its

Now I was officially freaking out.

I turned, ready to bolt from the house and run down the road after the police officer like a crazy person, when I thought about what the note had said.

‘I promise I won’t hurt you.’

If they were going to hurt me, they probably could have already.

Then again, if they were sick enough to break in and leave me notes, would they enjoy torturing me a little before they brutally murdered me?

I stood, shifting from foot to foot.

Hypothetically, if I were to believe this person, why were they sending me notes?

IN MY HOUSE?!

That was the moment I realised that not calling the police would be stupid. I ran to my door, but it slammed closed in front of me.

There was another post-it on the back.

Oh God, oh God, oh God.

Please don’t be all scary. Please don’t be behind me-

I spun to find no one.

How did the note get there?

I shrugged away from the thought and read it.

‘I’m not lying, I won’t hurt you. If I wanted to, I would’ve already. I just wanna talk’

They wanted to talk?

“Where are you?” I called, my voice scared and small.

No reply.

Of course. The person leaving me notes wanted to talk, but now they weren’t talking.

Maybe it was just a ploy to get my guard down.

I yanked my door open and ran downstairs.

I went to grab my shoes, and found a post-it on the left one.

‘I can hear you. I’m a little... shy. You talk, I’ll write.”

This was creepy. Not only could they reply, but his placing of the notes. It was like they knew me already, which would imply stalking.

For instance, today I wore my skinny jeans. These skinny jeans were lighter than the rest, and I only ever wore a specific pair of shoes with them. Somehow, he had known that I would grab these shoes, when I never ever wear them. Except with these jeans.

I took a deep breath. Obviously, they were following me. I doubted I’d get away, if they were all ninja like they seemed.

I turned slowly, pressing myself against the wall.

“Ummm... What’s your name?” I said, feeling more than a little silly. Then I had a thought. “I’m getting a drink from the fridge by the way.”

Sure enough, when I got to the ridge, a note was there, held on with a magnet.

‘I’m Leo. Thanks for talking to me, Kiwi. I know this must seem a little creepy J’

I laughed a bit.

“A little? You’re welcome, but I gotta ask, why in my house? You can’t go around leaving notes and stuff in someone else’s house. It’s illegal, you know, Leo?” I said, telling him off a little at the end. Then I remembered. “Oh, and TV.”

I walked to the TV, to find a note.

‘Where else will you find my notes? They might be blown away outside. I know it’s illegal, but it won’t be if you invite me inside?’

I thought for a while.

“Leo, are you a vampire? Kitchen counters.”

The next note terrified me.

‘Clever girl.’

I let out a surprised yelp, and immediately scrunched my neck up. I opened the kitchen blinds further, letting sunshine flood the room.

“Leo, please get out. I’ve read books, watched TV. Nothing good comes from having a vampire in the house. And how did you get in. I didn’t invite you?” I thought for a moment. “Hallway wall. Close enough so I can read it without stepping into any shadows.”

I walked there, squinting to read the note.

‘No. And says who? They’re fictional. And who says you didn’t? Maybe you did without realising. You invite people in all the time. Pizza deliveries, friends, authority figures...’

My blood ran cold.

“Are you the police officer? Is that how you got here so fast? Oh, God, Leo please get out. Same place as last time. I’ll turn away for a couple seconds.”

‘Nah, I was just kidding. I’m not him, and I’m not even a vampire, but you should have seen your face!’

Anger coursed through me.

“That wasn’t funny. And it wasn’t like I was being silly. Someone’s placing notes in my house so fast I can’t see them. Kind of screams vampire, don’t ya think? And why don’t you just come talk to me Leo? Fridge, if you can walk in the sunlight that is.”

I turned away and walked to the fridge.

‘Yeah, I guess. I can walk in the sunlight, clearly, but I can’t come talk to you. You’re not ready.’

“I’m not ready?”

Something fluttered in front of my face.

I grabbed the note, looking up and seeing the ordinary ceiling.

I read the note.

‘You’ll understand one day. Hopefully. It’s been amazing talking with you Kiwi. If we never speak again, know that this meant everything to me. Take care of yourself, and I’ll always be around to help you.’

“Leo? Are you still here? TV?”

I walked to the TV, for the first time, finding no note.

I looked around.

The weirdest conversation of my life was also one of the most interesting.

I should have been scared, but now I was curious.

Not just about how he was placing the notes, but about Leo.

Suddenly, I couldn’t wait to be ready.