Football!

The red poured all over my hands, staining them and seeping onto my shorts. All I could do was stare in horror at Sienna, my best friend.

"I am so SORRY! I'm so KLUTZY!" She moaned, trying to wipe her spilled slushy off me. I laughed loudly. It was hardly on me, but her white sun-dress was absolutely ruined- and it was so cute and perfect for the park. She'd called me, arranging an entire group meet-up. It was a serious dilemma- showing up meant dealing with the awkwardness of Lily and Kyle. However, staying a home meant attempting to resist Leo, and I knew which I was more capable of handling.

MY birthday was now only four days away, and I was dreading it. The past three days had been full of the usual caring gestures, like breakfast, and my willpower was weakening with every one of them.

Sienna's second groan zoned me back into the present.

"This'll never wash out." She said miserably as she flicked tiny flakes of ice off of her dress. I looked up and caught Darren's eye. He smiled at me, so I shot him a small wink in return. He chuckled, and went back to tossing the football. 

"Don't worry about it, Si. Maybe that stain remover my Mom bought will-"

"WATCH OUT!" 

I looked up just in time for the football to smash into my face. 

I fell back- hard- and the breath was knocked out of me as I hit the hard ground.

"SHIT! Kiwi, are you alright?!" Darren's shouts became closer very quickly. He was helping me sit up before I'd even understood what happened- Damn he was fast.

"Ummm..." Was my answer, still trying to get my thoughts together.

"I'm SO sorry, Kiwi! By the time I saw it heading for you it was too late." His voice held a mixture of apologies and anger. I managed to focus my sight on his face at last. I blinked a couple of times as he watched me nervously.

"I..." The sound of my voice made me realise I'd started talking, even though I didn't have anything to say.

"Shit, your head's real messed up now isn't it?" Darren said anxiously. I went to answer, but was distracted by the crowd of people that had formed around us. Oh, great. I couldn't form sentences, but my blush managed to form quicker than ever. Typical.

"I'll be fine. Don't be sorry, Darren, you didn't mean to throw it at me." I shot him a fragile smile, to pretend my head wasn't spinning. I didn't want him to feel too awful.

"What? I didn't throw it, Kiwi." He said, confusion settling across his features, before being quickly replaced by anger. "Look at me, Kiwi. In the eyes."

I thought I'd done as he asked, but apparently I was wrong because he cursed loudly.

"KYLE, YOU ASS! LOOK AT HER!" He bellowed to my left. I flinched at the volume, and turned to pity the person it was directed at.

Kyle was shuffling his feet and wringing his hands- the picture of guilt. 

"Aw, no Darren, don't yell. Kyle-" I started to grant my forgiveness, before I saw something that stopped me.

Lily was hanging onto his arm, burying her face in his bicep. What had stopped me was that she'd turned to look at me for a second, and I'd seen the huge grin on her face. What a bitch.

"You kn- OH MY GOD!" I shouted so suddenly that Darren jumped violently. I would have laughed if I wasn't so damn angry. As I started talking to Lily, Kyle had looked up slightly- only slightly, but it was enough to see the amusement in his eyes, and smirk on his lips. He hadn't been looking downbecause of shame and guilt; it was to hide his laughter.