TR17

The first thing that Jack did the next day was call a meeting; we needed to know exactly what position we were in. There was very little time left, to our deadline and an unmeasurable amount of work left to do, this meeting was going to be the catalyst to make us all work harder. I could tell Jack was gearing up for it as he was silent most of the day, musing.

Due to time constraints the meeting was held in the late afternoon in a meadow in the tree folk's wing. For me, the meeting couldn't come soon enough, the need to be productive itching inside me making antsy, but now that it was about to begin I was nervous. What if we couldn't get everything done in time? What if we had to leave people behind?

In all honesty, I didn't even want to think about it and thankfully I didn't have too, as Jack had stood in the centre as soon as everyone had entered.

"Thank you for coming at such short notice everyone. I know everyone's been working very hard lately and we're here today to discuss progress. There are only five days left, and we need to know exactly what needs to be done and do it. We need to work extra hard and hopefully our efforts will pay off. I have full faith in it. Techs you first."

"Well, studying the force fields we've found a few weak points where with enough pressure and gradual breakdown we can use them as exit routes. The three shuttles will have to take different routes and two will have significantly longer journeys."

"What will you need to make this gradual breakdown faster?" Jacks asked.

"I think that's where we come in," Warrens states standing up, "the barriers been weakening for a while now and we've noticed an increase of magic when it has come in from the pressure points mentioned. We can use our magic to help weaken them further in a manner that won't be a cause for suspicion and won't take that long either."

"Sounds good, anything else, Damon?"

"Yes and no, things haven't changed on the shuttle front it seems like they are still planning on taking less of us. We haven't found anything suggesting who will be left and who will be taken or what the criteria is. We've also been seeing an increase in the number of shuttles arriving from earth with nothing in them. Or maybe they get emptied before we see them. Not sure but the guards are up to something."

"I agree," Vlad nods starting to stand, "the guards have been very active at night lately, too active. But just as Damon states we can only follow them up to certain point and then they just disappear, out of our view. We did come up with the theory that maybe we lost them because they were human and they were using something so that anything supernatural wouldn't be able to see. Since usually, we're the ones with the better eyesight. Anna? Would you be okay to join us on night watch today?"

"Sure!" I say probably all too fast but I finally have a role now! One that hopefully won't lead to me getting paralysed or knocked out or in some weird dream with characters who want me to die.

I glance quickly at him, only to see him running his hand through his hair. It's more than obvious from his stiffened posture and locked jaw that's he was not liking this idea at all. And yet, despite his lack of delight at this he gave a quick nod, in consent. Even he couldn't deny the potential advantage we would have if this yielded fruit.

Next up was Thad, who stated that he was nearly close to securing all the provisions that we would need for the journey, as well as the basic medical supplies.

The meeting ended after Jack gave a few words of encouragement but while it did seem like things were working out I had a niggling feeling that we were missing something blatantly obvious. However, that was a feeling easily ignored especially as now I had a task that would enable me to be more actively involved.