TR1

I moaned as I awoke, suddenly startlingly aware of my aching body. I knew as soon as I had opened my eyes I wasn’t in the same room I had fallen asleep in, for one thing there was light here. My body needed to stretch but seen as I was in this much pain just by laying still, moving was not a good idea.

Cracking open my eyes further I allowed the light to filter through slowly, unwilling to be blinded by it.

“Jack,” I mumbled, knowing that he would be here.

“Yeah?” Came the sleepy reply.

“What happened?”

“You really don’t know?” He asks drily.

“A little, why am I here?”

“When I found you, you were bleeding. A healer came to check up on you not so long ago, you need to rest.”

“You know I’ll be okay soon.”

“Rest.” He ordered gruffly, ignoring my comment, I could hear the creaking of a chair as he got up and then saw his shadow leave the room.

***

The next day, I felt fine ready like I was ready to take on the world. Not that the world we were currently living on was much of a world, it being a planet smaller than Earth but bigger than Pluto. Arston is a barren planet, no life grew on it and the only life that lived on it was us.

The prisoners.

Life in this prison was all I knew, it was all I remembered. I staggered out of my room, as the only human in the prison I was the only one who got my own room. The hall was set for lunch, long ago we had our lunch pre-made for us from Earth, well those of us who ate lunch did.

But now, after much complaining we get to make our own lunch today was the Fae’s turn and it smelt like pasta. My stomach grumbled at the thought of food and I quickly made my way to my table, knowing that Jack would get food for me. After all isn’t that what best friends are for?

I sat with the demons, where a steaming bowl of spaghetti faced me, Jack sitting by my side. Other than me, the only human the demons were the second smallest population in the prison.

“How’re you feeling?” Jacks asks.

“Good,” I mumble, loading my fork with food, “hungry.”

He chuckles, knowing it was pointless to talk to me while I was eating, begins eating himself.

“The tree guys wanted to see you, no idea what about. You should go see them, now.” He orders, out of the blue. 

“Why the sudden rush?” I question, curiosity peaked. He never usually acted like this.

“Anna.”

“Fine.” I leave without finishing the food on my plate, storming away from him. Why did he have to be so moody? Clearly, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I walk to the furthest part of the hall, the north wing, where the tree folk and the fae and the nympths lived. I loved this part of the prison, it was rather beautiful, it made you feel as if you’d entered a new world.

Of course, every wing of the prison was adapted to the natural habitats of the creatures that lived there, but none were transformed as much as this was. It was a beautiful forest, full of lush green trees and all sorts of foliage and flowers. A natural waterfall and pond were also among the delights that the north wind boasted.

If there was anywhere to go when you needed peace, you could go here.  I wondered what the tree folk would want, they rarely wanted anything they were such peaceful people, so mellow.

I walked down the central lane, which would lead me to Thaddeus, my main connection to the tree folk. I guess they considered him as their leader, which in a sense he was, just like I was the mediator between everyone it was an unspoken agreement to which I had no choice in the matter.

I liked this job, if you could call it that. It involved going around to every wing and hanging out with all sorts of people.

Just as I was about to walk into their meeting room – unannounced because I’m cool like that, I noticed that the door was ajar, and voices, which were getting increasingly angry were drifting out.

“…He said we must not tell her and as much as I do not like it, this time we have to listen to him. He has what we need.” Thad was saying.

“But she should know! This is an integral part of the plan, she must know –“

“Silence, nymph!” Thad, roared, so loud I actually took a step back I had never heard him raise his voice let alone shout. “Clearly, you do not wish to see our plan completed in its entirety, you do not understand the severity of the situation –“

“No, it is you who do not, I am the one whom without which you cannot go on!”

“Leave, I don’t want to talk to you at present. Your ego has been inflated with your ignorance, we shall talk when your head is back on Arston and is no longer stuck in the clouds.”

Damn, she was going to come out, where was I supposed to hide? I didn’t want them to know that I was eavesdropping! Well, it was unintentional eavesdropping, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time in order to hear that there was something going on and everybody was hiding it from me.             

It’s ridiculous, honestly.

I hear footsteps coming closer, and with all the stealth I can muster I retreat down the corridor a little. Slowly walking back up to the door, making it seem like I was walking there for the first time. Both the nymph and a weary Thad exit the room.

I’ve never seen the nymph around before, which is odd because we only have a handful of nymphs at the prison so each were easily recognisable. I smile at both of them, in greeting and walked straight into the meeting room. I make myself comfortable and hear the door close behind me, a cup of steaming peppermint tea is placed in front of me.

“How much of that conversation did you hear?”

“What conversation?” I ask as innocently as possible.

“Anna, come on.”

“Truly, I have no idea what you’re talking about. I was just told you’d like to talk to me.”

“By whom?” Thad asked confused, as if he didn’t know what I was talking about.

I took my time answering his question, instead taking a sip of tea, while thinking of the likelihood that Jack had lied to me to get rid of me. As much as I didn’t want to think that he had, it was rather transparent that he did. 

“Jack,” I say, looking at his reaction carefully, which morphs into something of understanding.

“Ah, yes. I recall now, I wanted to talk about how you are, and to offer you some days of relaxation here.”

He was lying, that much was obvious.

I sipped the rest of my tea, slowly, good tea should never be allowed to be wasted, without replying. It was more than obvious that at least Thad, the nymph and Jack where hiding something.

Now the question, or rather questions that needed to be asked were: What are they hiding? And how many other knew about it in the prison?

But more importantly, how was I going to find out about it?

***

Unedited because I'm lazy :D I want to know what you think, so comment & vote! Dedicated to @whiterose_xx beacuse she's amazing :D

I don't know when the next updates going to be as i'm finding it really hard to write this story :/ I don't know why, hoping its just writer's block.

<3 Zahira

Remember to Vote & comment!