TR8

I can hear groaning, a low muffled sound which I soon figure out that the sounds coming from me. What happened this time? Another nightmare that knocked me for six? I begin to feel my head pounding, which is probably a side effect of waking up – the ability to feel pain and acknowledge your surroundings. 

I haven’t opened my eyes yet, I really don’t want to. There’s something about waking up that I hate, the having to face reality part. Having to face the pain. Having to face whatever dream you’ve had and then trying to decode its nonsense, finding meaning out of random scenes, words or scenarios is never fun.

Waking up to pain isn’t fun either. I stop groaning, in a bid to try to sleep again. I’m kidding myself of course, but hey, a few moments of ignorance never hurt anybody right?

Well, they probably did, but in my instance the only person whose hurting is me. So for now ignorance is okay, until my pounding head either increases in pain, or stops completely, the former being most likely and the latter being nigh on impossible.

Why was my brain thinking so much? For a person who wanted sleep I wasn’t doing a very good job obtaining it. My brain wasn’t helping the situation, who even uses nigh anymore anyway? Ugh, being awake is such a pain in the ass.

Slowly, after a few moments I begin to open my eyes because this sleeping thing clearly wasn’t working out for me. I have my eyes open and thankfully, I, or whoever had some sense to light a few candles instead of using the main light . So much more easier on the eyes, especially if you’re in my situation.

The pounding, as predicted increases and I groan again, squeezing my eyes shut and lightly massaging my temples.

“Here, let me,” a voice I recognise but can’t place, whispers. I tilt in an attempt to glance their way to discern who it was.

“Jack?” I mumble, the last time I talked to him we weren’t exactly on very good terms, something bad must have happened to make him talk to me again. The tilting did me no good, now despite discovering Jack was here with me, which was a relief, pain flared in other parts of my body.

Which was just freakin’ awesome. What does a person in pain need?

More pain!

Thanks body, I owe you one!

I lie back again, straight and allow Jack’s hands to soothe the pain away, letting me slowly drift off into sleep.

I dream of nothing, thankfully and wake up feeling refreshed. I stretch my body out slowly, testing my body but there’s no more pain so this time stretch again, awakening my muscles and pushing them to the limit. 

“Careful,” Jack scolds me “you still have to be careful with your body, it’s not fully healed. 

I nod in acknowledgment and then realise that he’s holding a tray which I presume is food. I sit up and my theory is proved correct he pits the tray in my lap and I gladly scoff the chicken soup and salad.

“We need to talk.” Jack says whilst I’m eating. 

I wait until I’ve finished to reply, “yeah.” Is all I can say, guys are really obtuse I’ve been trying to tell him we needed to talk for a long time now. 

“I’m sorry, okay? I’m sorry  that I didn’t tell you about the prophecy, I just didn’t want to get you  to get hurt. I thought that if I didn’t tell you, you would be safe,  that I could figure out this prophecy and tell you about it when the danger had passed. But I was wrong and instead of protecting you, I put you in more danger,  I don’t even understand it myself but I did, somehow. So now, I’m going to tell you everything, everything that I know about the prophecy  but first I want to know what happened to you.”