Chapter 9: Unlikely Surprises

Alex's POV

" There was a time when Hadie disappeared." Jade boldly stared me in the face, her gaze unwavering and serious. The cafeteria grew quiet around me, like they were all waiting in anticipation for her next words.

I frowned," What do you mean she disappeared?" She never seemed concerned for anything. Wouldn't that potentially place a permanent dampener on her cheer? Either she was strong or. . . I need to hear more on this.

" How'd she get back? Did she just reappear or.? You know what, just tell me what happened," I directed the statement to Jade, but it was Ashli who answered, which was a surprise noting her previous disinterest.

" Okay, the thing is," she hesitated, then, a steely look shining in her eyes, pushed forward, her moment of thought forgotten," Hadie disappeared for three months."

"We were all in elementary, at the time, so we didn't think anything was wrong. So when the lockdown sirens sounded, we just followed the normal procedure. It was what we were taught, you know."

" But Hadie was different." Jade intoned. Ashli nodded her agreement.

" Yeah, she was. See Hadie wasn't one to follow the rules. For one thing, when an alarm sounded at our school, they were simply practice, so she would always hide in the girls' restroom, you know, as if it were a joke..However, this alarm was real."

My eyes, of their own control, began to widen as the point slowly made itself known. " No." I gasped.

" Yes," Ashli said bluntly." she was kidnapped. No one knows what happened for those three months because she wouldn't say anything. Like that portion of time was blocked from her mind." She shook her head slowly." It's only a recent time that she's been normal. But it still bothers us."

" Its mostly because she won't tell us."

I saw what they weren't saying. They were concerned about how she found her way back. Or the fact that scars crossed her back like a giant tic tac tow board with too many lines. I know Hadie didn't notice but the gym uniform exposed her back near the arms' exit through the sleeves.

I knocked my head against the hard surface of the table, sighing heavily. I just wish I knew what to do.

Hadie's POV

I needed to get away. They were all staring at me, pity, a prominent feature showing in their eyes. I could never take that emotion very well. It made me feel weak and unsure, insecure with my life. And, maybe that was normal for other girls, but for me, it was a weakness. One I wasn't about to deal with.

I turned down the science corridor,its walls steaks of color as I started down the hall in a low marching gait. God, my head was killing me! Kind of like a stupid hangover that wouldn't quit, not that I had any experience in that aspect of high school life. I cupped my head in my hands, taking care to plug my ears with my fingers, which explains why I didn't hear her footsteps on the tiled floor.

We slammed into each other with a loud smack, and I tumbled to the floor, skidding on my babydoll skirted behind. I heard a thump that echoed my own and squeezed my eyes shut, before opening them and connecting them with eyes so similar to my own that I gasped.

Again, an echo of my own actions could be heard.

" Who are you?" we said in unison." Stop copying me! No, you!" We went back and forth before realizing it would be redundant to continue.

To replace it, I chose to study this mysterious girl, which I knew immediately she was, no matter how strapped her chest was or how baggy the clothes she chose to wear were. I could tell she was a female. The feminine curve of her cherry pink lips and the wide glassy look of her eyes said to that. As I examined her, I began to see the similarities and differences of our appearances.

Although we shared the same eyes, her hair was more golden caramel than platinum blonde.Her curls were straight and long, I could see its length although she'd pinned it so that it fell in a style unlike my own short wavy style.

And, yet I identified immediately with her.

" Hayden?" Her confused voice whispered. I stiffened, shock vibrating down the length of my spine. How did she know about the boy in the picture? Because there was no doubt that he was who she referred to.

My eyes flickered to meet her eyes and tears streamed, dripping continuously from her soft chin.

" It is you," she gasped, a tenuous smile pulling her lips.

" Who are you talking about?" I said choosing ignorance because she couldn't possibly be right.

" You. You're my long lost brother, Hayden."

Somehow, I knew this would happen. Somewhere inside myself, a tiny piece recognized her spirit as kindred to my own.

I really wanted to take her in my arms and never leave her alone. I felt as if I'd gone years without water and she was my oasis. However, something held me back.

That same pain spiked down my back, and I froze, the feeling a memory of a frightful past I couldn't remember. And I knew then that I couldn't do anything I felt like. doing in that moment.

" Could you not bother me according to your own stupidity."

" What?" The confusion she easily displayed on her face was heartbreaking. Oddly enough, I couldn't, no... I didn't want to hurt her. A throbbing feeling crept into my heart and I knew it was my guilt scratching at my defenses, gnawing at my veins.

" You heard me, leave me out of your weirdo delusions. Firstly, my name is Hadie, not Hayden or whatever you were speaking on about."

I glared at her, irratated by her honest blue eyes, the way just looking into them made me feel like everything I was saying was horrible and that I should apologize. Why should she dictate my feelings, my thoughts even?

I'd better cut this little meeting short before what she says starts sounding even more reasonable, Hadie thought idly before moving to stand, realizing while they'd been speaking neither had tried to stand.

" Leave me alone, you ridiculous little girl. Don't act like you know me because you do not." I did an about face and stalked off toward the entrance of the science hall, the clack of my heels a familiar sound.

My rejection of her was still a feasible taste on my tongue. I heard a soft sniffle from behind me, but I kept going, ignoring my instinctive protective feelings that were directed toward her, despite how natural they felt.

Suddenly, an eerily strong hand clapped onto my forearm turning me a full one-eighty degrees. I found myself staring into a pair of lovely light blue eyes.

" I know you'll believe me if I just show you, okay?" She didn't release her grip but tightened it as she dragged me back the way we'd come to the back exit that was conveniently right down the hall.

" Umm.. excuse me, whoever you are," my voice trembled with a just amount of hesitance. This kind of situation was definitely not part of the scenario I had imagined in my head. I felt a little embarrassed at my inability to jerk my hand from her grip. All those days of missing, or more like skipping, P.E. were finally catching up with me. Sadly enough, I'd expected this to come up later, like when I was in my late thirties and was trying my hardest to fit into a pair of jeans I'd worn in my teens, with no success.

" Where are we going?"

" We're meeting my parents," She answered shortly.

***************

Comment plz, tell me what you like and don't:D

... Sorry, guys this is a little different from the first version but I hope this is a better representation of my story than the other. Sorry for that other one. I could understand the confusion of that one, so I hope this one meets everyone's expectations:)