Chapter 16: Secrets Revealed

From now on, Hadie the boy is going to be referred to as Hayden and Hadie the girl is going to be Hadie. Just so you know. Enjoy.

***^^***^^***^^***

Hayden's POV

Drifting...

Set afloat with nothing to grasp onto...

Was I alive? Dead? I couldn't tell. All I knew was that there was no pain. Was that good or bad, I couldn't say. I'd imagine death to be painless but then again I wasn't the best kid for hating my mom. The reason I was hurt was because of her, wasn't it?

Maybe the Isabell I saw hovering above me was just an angel look-alike sent to tell me my fate. Isabell did have the innocent look going for her, so the idea wasn't much of a stretch.

Also, I didn't have any regrets to speak of except maybe me not kissing Alex before dying. On that note, did that mean I was a ghost?! Ghost are people who die with regrets, weren't they?

Oh my God, I'm a ghost! I'm gonna be left to wallow in my regrets for all eternity! God, I felt like crying! I don't want to be a ghost! They're all dreary and blue and disgusting. By nature, I didn't have a negative bone in me, so would I be able to fit in with the other ghosts? Would I be able to hang out with the other teen ghosts and joke about our favorite ghost populars?

Ugh! This was horrible! Being a ghost would suck. Ghosts aren't the liveliest group so I'd stick out like a sore thumb!

Wait a minute, did I just... I did! My face just moved! Did I have a face earlier? Who cares! I moved my face which means I wouldn't be one of the living dead any time soon.

Now, if I could just open my eyes, or at least squeeze them.... Success! They squeezed! I was definitely the living Hadie and not a ghost.

" Did he just move?" Was that Alex's voice? The voice seemed a little watery, but it sure sounded like him.

" Hmm, maybe. Let's wait for a bit and see what happens." Jade definitely.

" I hope he wakes up soon. Where will I go if he doesn't?" Isabell.

" You'll live with us, of course. Even if you two aren't truly related, he's still your brother." Oh the crazy Hadie girl, with superhuman strength.

I really wanted to see all this. Alex's and that crazy girl were in the same room for who knows how long! She could be raping him with her eyes, or who knows what?

I pushed at my eyes, concentrating really hard on one thought:

I need to get up.

" He's moving! Call the doctor, Jade, hurry!" Alex said and hurrying footsteps followed the command. " Come on, Hayden, you have to get up. Please? For us?"

I'm trying, you jerk! My eyelids had just glued themselves together for some weird reason, I pouted in my head.

I feel my mouth open and a groan fell from my lips. I couldn't open my eyes. It was taking too much of my limited energy to try.

" Mr. Davids? My name is Dr. Deidre Phillis, you can address me as Dr. Deidre or Phillis. Can you open your eyes for me?" Why was she demanding this of me? She sounded all official and such, so maybe she was a doctor or maybe a lawyer?

" I- It's too he- heavy." I heard myself mumbling, my throat was dry, which was the cause of the cracks I noted in my voice.

" Would you appreciate some assistance, Mr. Davids?" This lady's really polite. I kinda feel like a daddy, err... mommy? Wait! I was right! She's calling me 'Mr. Davids'.

" Yeah, help would be good."

" Ok, Mr. Davids, I'm going to lift your eyelids, but I'm going to need you to keep your eyes open afterward. can you do that for me?"

" Yeah."

I felt gentle, but sure fingers pressing against my eyelids. Light poured into my eyes, and I blinked instinctively. This time, when my eyes opened, it was voluntarily. I stared into coffee brown eyes and smiled.

" Those are pretty." I giggled, and those eyes sweetened back at me.

" Well, Mr. Davids, you're not the first man to say they're pretty, but I'll thank you just the same. Now, tell me how you're feeling." The doctor leaned back to stand over me and I noticed that the rich brown coloring of her eyes extend to cover her entire body, or what I could see of it. Black locks spilled down her back, fuzzy dreds with blond hairs streaked through the lot of it.

I tried sitting up and sort of scooted a little bit, but a hot pain rendered me imobile.

" Pain." I grounded out, slumping back against the mattress.

" Do me a favor and press that green button on that remote at your side, then tell me in five seconds." I did as told and sighed as a cooling numbness knocked the pain right out of me. I could tell now that the pain had reared from my head and my right leg.

" Better." I couldn't be bothered with sentences, not when I felt so good now.

" Can you tell me where you are and why you are here?" The lady doctor anunciated clearly every syllable.

"A hospital and my mom ran her car into my side of Jade's car. She locked me in the basement for three days I think." I blinked a few times, wondering just how I'd known all of that. I mean, sure I experienced it, but to be honest? All those memories were hazy. At best I recalled Isabell leaning over me while my right leg hurt like a devil.

" Okay. Mr. Davids do you remember how you got out of the basement?" I looked at her for a second. All I remember really is the bleak darkness of my confinement, then an almost unbearable light. To her though, I shook my head. " Nothing at all?" I told her the meager amount I remembered. " Hmm, well, Mr. Davids your mom is in police custody for kidnapping/imprisonment charges as well as a charge on brainwashing and distributing prescriptions illegally to a minor."

" Who'd she kidnap slash imprison and drug and brainwash?" I was aghast, who could she have possibly done in? The look she gave me should have clued me in, but I assume that in that moment morphine clouded my thoughts.

" Hayden," It caught my notice that she called me by the boy name, so I glanced into her face. " she's had you locked in her house for over a decade, even if she was homeschooling you, you should have been over friends houses or to stores. Also, you are under the impression that you are a girl when, in fact, you've been a boy your entire life. Those little pills she gave you every morning? Those were feminine hormones. At this moment, we're testing to see the full extent of damage she's done to your body by conditioning it to female hormones rather than the testosterone hormones you're meant to have. Already, it is not favorable."
By the time she'd begun that last sentence, I was gone. I heard yelling and scrambled movement. Isabelle screamed for me to stop, but I had lost control. I couldn't cease the body- racking shakes that had me moving without my consent. I wasn't there to help myself.
A sting in my arm, and I saw them pulling a needle from my skin. The shudders were stopping. I relaxed against the bed, knowing my consciousness was deserting me.
Somehow, though, my eyes locked with hazel-brown eyes. They saddened me because they looked so confused and angry, but that was more reflective so I didn't question it.
I reached a hand out to him, but he didn't grab it so I let it drop.

" Sorry." I tried to say, but I don't think I fully got it out though.

It seems Isabell and I weren't the only casualties of this fight.

**^^***^^***^^***^^***^^***
The next chappie is most likely gonna be a Time Jump of some kind... or not! What do you guys think of that idea? Too early or should I just be the author and do as I please? Anyway! I hope you guys enjoyed having Hayden's secrets revealed.