Chapter 1

Grace

I hated school. With a burning passion. I was never really a social butterfly to begin with and it was hard to get me out of my shell. Then again, no one had ever tried. I didn't think I wanted them too. Imagine me not being a social butterfly, and then totally having to start a new school. In a new city, a new state. I couldn't even say my name to new people, let alone walk through halls completely unfamiliar to me.

I managed to make it through the day though, sitting in the back of my classes and making little doodles instead of taking notes, looking out the window staring at the birds flying around. I liked to think that I was somewhere else, anywhere else than sitting in a twelfth grade math class learning about god knows what. I was never good at math.

Sometimes I would like to think of little stories up in my head. I was pretty much a four year old in a seventeen year olds body. Thinking of princesses and fire breathing dragons. Maybe a unicorn or two.

Once upon a time, in a land far far away there lived a girl. Sitting in a boring ass math class watching the seconds tick slowly away as she just wanted to leave and never come back.

"Owen, what's the answer to number 4?" The teacher said. Sadly, we don't all get what we want do we.

"I don't know, 6?" He said. I rolled my eyes and leaned my head on my hand as I continued drawing. Only one day and there were already stupid people encounters.

"Ask the new girl. I bet she knows." I heard. I immediately snapped my head up and looked at the guy two seats in front of me smirking at me.

"Grace?" The teacher asked. I looked around the room panicked and started shaking. I didn't even know if I had the right answer! I didn't want to do this at all. I felt so pressured. I didn't want to, but I started tearing up. I looked around and everyone was looking at me. I hated being the center of attention. I felt the pressure increase as I looked down at my blank worksheet.

"Grace, are you going to answer?" The teacher asked. He had a concerned look on his face. I didn't want him to feel concerned, I wanted him to move on and pick someone else. Forget about me! Pick on someone else you asshole.

"Um, Mr. Harley, i'll answer it." I heard quietly from across from me. I snapped my head over and saw a boy, he had caramel colored hair that fell onto his face slightly and he looked nervous. Was that how I looked? If so, I feel bad now. I didn't want to be put on the spot and I'm almost certain this mystery guy didn't want to either.

Before he could answer the bell rang signaling the end of class and the school day all together. I gathered my stuff as fast as I could and booked it out of there. I had to stop by my locker and put some books away that I didn't need and then I was home free. Did I really want to waste time putting books away when I could just simply leave. Why would I want to spend another second in this school? Exactly. I didn't. I beelined it for the exit and started my walk home. It was a peaceful walk home that I took as an opportunity to just think.

I couldn't help but think about the what ifs. Like, what if I was more social? What if I was talkative? I didn't understand why I didn't feel comfortable not talking to people I don't know. My mom is the only person I managed to talk to. That's one person, just one. I haven't trusted anyone as much as I trust her. She saved us.

The whole walk home I heard yelling and laughing, although I was deathly curious to just turn around and see what they were making so much noise about, or maybe just tell them to shut up.

It's funny how I'm extremely quiet and yet I have so much to say. Even as I walked down my street the yelling didn't subside. It was like it was following me and although I thought it was creepy I had to think of the possibilities. They probably live on the same street. No biggie.

I walked towards my front door and didn't dare to look back as I unlocked the door and shuffled in dropping my bag next to the front door. When my mom divorced my dad she got at least half of everything, which ultimately led to us being able to afford more than I thought we could. It was a nice house even if it was just the two of us. I was grateful.

"Gracie honey?" I heard yelled from the kitchen.

"Yeah mom!" I yelled back and sauntered off into the kitchen to see her standing behind a stove reading a book with over mitts on.

"Hey honey, how was school today?" She asked and turned back to the stove top mixing something in a pot. Whatever it was, it smelt good.

"Nerve wracking. I hated it." I grumbled and munched on a cookie while she ran around the kitchen. She sighed and turned towards me.

"I know you're shy honey. But do you think you can break out of your shell for one night?" She asked and put the wooden spoon on top of the pot. She must be boiling something.

"What do you mean?" I asked and sat up straight. I was scared right now. The worst she could do is make me go out and be social. I hated the idea so much that it made my stomach flip. Not in the good way.

"Well I invited the neighbors over for dinner for being sweethearts." She said quietly.

"Nice British couple, they have a son about your age." She added. Now that did it. I started crying right on the spot. I felt bad because my mom rarely got to do anything like this anymore because of my shyness.

"I can cancel-"

"Don't you dare." I interrupted. She looked surprised at my little snap and smiled.

"It would mean the world to me if you'd join us." She whispered. It was a lot to take in I didn't know if I could do it.

"Please Gracie." She said. I don't know why but I always felt mighty damn special when people called me Gracie. It was just a thing. It made me feel young again. I sighed and nodded. I was going to hate it, but if it meant making my mom happy then I would do it. Even if I hated the idea. I simply nodded and heard her squeal.

"Thank you Grace, now go up and get dressed and fix what you have to, they'll be in in fifteen minutes." I widened my eyes and took in a shaky breath. I had fifteen minutes, a mere fifteen minutes to prepare myself and instead I had to use it to get ready.

I slouched and got out my stool and walked towards the stairs. I could never hate my mom, but I could hate what she's doing. And most of all I could hate that I said yes. I did, a lot.

I didn't think that I would be spending my little time standing in front of my closet thinking instead of working. But once I heard my mom call down for me telling me our guests were here I sighed and picked out something random. Black skinny jeans and nice sweater that I got from my aunt for Christmas last year.

When I went downstairs I wasn't expecting what I would see I didn't prepare myself for this situation. I didn't even think of this scenario. My hands started shaking just a bit and I could just feel the anxiety wracking my body. Right in front of me stood the boy from math class holding a dish.

"Well, don't just stand there and be shy, introduce yourself." I heard his mom tell the boy in his ear. She took the dish and he held out his hand.

"Um, hi, I'm Alex." He said quietly. I smiled at the similarity we shared and cautiously put my hand in his.

"I'm Gracie." Was all I said. This would be one eventful night.

An: honestly I'm so excited for this story right now it's not even funny. I really hope you guys like it too and don't forget to vote or comment.