Chapter 18 - Matt's P.O.V

(Yes, another chapter in Matt's perspective while Audrey is still unconscious.) 

"Matt," my Mom sighed, rubbing her temples. "You need to go home, you can't keep staying here."

I shook my head at her, without looking her way. I was just staring at Audrey while she slept. 

How could someone in a hospital bed look so perfect? I don't know how she does it. No matter what shape she is in, she always manages to look perfect.

"Matt?" She pressed, catching my attention this time. 

"Huh?" I looked up at her.

"You need to get home some time," She repeated. "It's been two days and-"

"I don't care how long it's been," I snapped, sneering at her. Tears swelled in my eyes, so I quickly looked down at my feet. "I'll wait for her forever if I have to," I said quietly.

She shot up in frustration and left the room.

Two days ago Audrey was in the accident and has already went through surgery. Her right leg got jammed under the steering wheel and snapped, breaking it. She also has minor cuts and bruises all over her body. With a minor concussion to top off the trauma.

"Matt?" 

What now? Just leave me alone. 

I sighed, looking towards the door. Mr. Dawson stood there, leaning against the door frame.

"Yeah?" I asked lightly. 

"You need to go home," he said politely. "If anything changes, we'll call you right away."

I just looked up at him and held my stare. 

"I can't just leave her," I shook my head. 

He sighed and walked over to me, sitting in the empty seat on the opposite side of the bed. 

"It's okay," he nodded. "You can't beat yourself up for sending that text."

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I shook my head at him and looked at the ground. The tears were threatening to fall again as I tried to suck them in. 

"It happened," he shrugged. "Being here every single day doesn't make up for it either,"

I closed my eyes and tried to block out what he was saying. None of this was fair. Not to Audrey, not to my babies. Not even to me. 

"You need to go home tonight and go to school tomorrow," he deadpanned, standing up. 

He wrapped me in a hug and patted my back. The remaining tears silently fell as Mr. D held me in his arms.

He let go and I stepped back, jamming my hands in my pockets.

"I promise that I'll call you if anything changes," he promised. 

"I want to be here when she wakes up," I informed him, sitting back down in my seat.

"What's it going to take?" He beamed. "You need to take care of yourself too,"

"I am," I said stiffly. "I took a shower today and yesterday here, I ate in the cafeteria this morning. The food wasn't all that flattering but whatever,"

"You haven't eaten since this morning?" He asked, placing his hands on his hips. 

I nodded. What's the difference?

"Matt it's almost midnight," He informed me, checking his watch.

People still wear those these days?