Chapter 17

"Why not?" I giggled. "Why don't you like pineapple?"

I popped another chunk of fresh pineapple in my mouth.

"It tastes weird," Matt shrugged. "It's like bitter and dry,"

I shrugged, I personally like pineapple.

"It's healthy," I said, standing up.

"Exactly,"

I let out a soft giggle, stretching out my legs in the giant tree house.

"So what do you think about Sage?" I asked him.

"I don't know," he said, standing up as well. "She's cool, but not the girl for me." He reached over and connected his iPod to the iHome to play music.

He's been talking to Sage for a while, which sort of makes me jealous. But he's my best friend, nothing more. Sage is a pretty good friend of both of ours.

"But I'm only thirteen so I don't know,"

I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck.

We danced, slowly moving to the rhythm of the song.

I giggled even more as he took my hand in his and twirled me around the tree house floor. We spend most of our time up here.

An upbeat song came on through the loud speaker. We jumped around like maniacs.

"Matt sweetie, your mom is here." My mom informed him, popping her head into the floor of the tree house.

"Okay we'll be down," I agreed, shutting down the iHome.

"Here," he said, sitting me down on a bean bag chair.

He walked over to the rec area and produced a Sharpie permanent marker.

He took my right hand, setting it in his lap. Uncapping the Sharpie, he pressed it to my wrist and wrote his name. I have always loved that he is left handed.

A wide smile spread across my face as he planted a sweet kiss on my cheek.

He gathered his things, climbing down the ladder to the back yard.

"See you later Audrey,"

~*~

"Hey," Kimmy said hesitantly as I situated my books in my locker. "Are we still on for the mall on Saturday?"

"Yeah, I don't see why not," I shrugged. "Then we have Carter's bonfire too,"

I switched my books out, retrieving the ones for my three afternoon classes, after lunch.  

"Great," She smiled. "What's going on with you and Matt?"

"What?" I asked, stumbling a bit.

She caught me completely off guard.

"Matt?" She repeated, "The guy you're completely in love with, remember him?"

I rolled my eyes. "I am not in love with Matt,"

"Bullshit," she shook her head.

I slammed my locker shut, heading down the hall.

Kimmy followed, linking an arm through mine.

"What's going on with you two?"

"Nothing," I lied.