Chapter 20

Peeta's POV

I sneak into the woods without anyone noticing. I have been in here since I was a child. I remember the first time I came was after on of my mother's beatings. I was around 8 at the time. I was trying to find a place where she wouldn't find me and the woods provided me with that. I found a meadow. Here is where I learned camouflage, though, that's not something I would tell anyone. Maybe Katniss.

I set up a pick nick beneath a willow tree which I decorate with fairy lights. I look at the time and see that I have to go home now to be able to get ready and pick Katniss up on time. I run back home and take a quick shower. I put on a light blue button up, dark gray jeans and blue combat boots.

I leave my hair in its natural messy style because Katniss told me she likes it that way

I leave my hair in its natural messy style because Katniss told me she likes it that way. As soon as I'm done I leave the house to pick Katniss up. Just on time. I knock on the door and little Prim opens.

"Hey, Peeta!" She greets me with a smile.

"Hi, Prim. Is Katniss ready yet?" I ask.

"Yeah. She'll be down in a minute." As if on que, Katniss walks down the stairs looking beautiful as ever. She wants a sunset orange dress, white, 6-inch heels and a white purse that matches. (A/N: ignore the ring on the pick. I plan on using this in a fanfic that is yet to be published.)

Her hair is on a waterfall braid and all curly

Her hair is on a waterfall braid and all curly. She wears just enough make up and I swear I can smell her sweet sent all the way from here.

"Wow. You look... wow." I say dumbfounded by her beauty.

"Like you're one to talk." She says blushing slightly.

"Shall we head out now?" I ask sticking my arm out for her to grab.

"We shall." She hold onto my arm. When she gets closer I notice that, even with the heels, she's still not taller than me. I still have to kind of look down to her.

"So shortie," I joke and she slaps my arm playfully, "how was your day?"

"First of I'm not that short," I raise my eyebrows at her and she just rolls her eyes, "second, my day was okay, though, I wish I could have spent more time with you."

"Kitten, you're wearing heels and you're still quite shorter than me. I wish we could have spent more time together, too."

"It's not my fault you're so tall."

"Katniss, I'm barely average."

"No. You have grown a couple of inches. I swear." I laugh at this. Katniss seems to notice the direction we're heading to and softly asks, "Are we going to the woods?"

"Yeah. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all. You might have to carry me, though. I'm not wearing the proper shoes for the occasion."

"It'll be no problem, princess."

We keep walking until we get to the fence that surrounds the district. We carefully slip past it and walk to the meadow where our date is set up.

"How did you find this place?" Katniss asks.

"Well, when I was a kid I came here trying to find a place to hide from my mom." Katniss flinches slightly when I mention my mom as though as remembering something.

"I never really got the chance to ask this but, what did your mom hit you with when you burned the bread to give to me?"

"A rolling pin." I deadpan.

"I'm sorry. You're so stupid for risking your security for me but, thank you."

"I'd do anything for you. You know that. Plus, now you know how I felt when you went to that feast to get my medicine."

"I couldn't have let the love of my life die. I loved you even then you know. I just didn't know it myself. I'm sorry it took so long for me to realize." She looks down. I lift her chin with my fingers.

"Hey, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that we're together now." I say and give her a soft peck on the lips, "Now, how about we eat?"

"Peeta this is all so beautiful." She says as we sit on the blanket beneath the willow.

"I'm glad you like it."

"Like it? I love it! Plus, the view of the sunset is incredible."

"Yeah, beautiful."

"Of course you'd think it's beautiful. It's your favorite color after all."

"I wasn't talking about the sunset." I say staring at her. She looks at me and smiles.

"You're so cheesy."

"But you love it."

"Can't say I don't."

After we eat, we lay on the blanket looking up at the stars. Katniss snuggled to my side while my arms are tightly wrapped around her. Our only light source being the fairy lights on the willow. Hmm... Willow... I like that name.

"I love you, Peeta."

"I love you too, Katniss."