Chapter 14

"She isn't here."

Calum's P.O.V

When you fall for someone, I believe there is a moment when it just happens.

There is a single moment when you make the final leap & fall for someone. Sure, you might have been thinking about them for awhile, maybe you've been on a few dates, or it could just happen out of nowhere.

But it happens.

I also don't mean when you see a hot person across the bar & you have a sexy night together, that's surface level, that's not falling for someone.

I mean when you look at this person & you completely fall for them. You fall for everything they stand for & everything they are. You fall for everything they were & everything they may be. You fall for their quirks, you fall for their faults, you fall for who they are.

It happens.

& it happened to me.

-

A year & a half ago
"How did we get completely ditched tonight?" I asked Ava as we were standing in my kitchen eating a midnight snack.

"Because I'm just getting over being sick so I didn't want to go out to a party tonight but everyone else had already made the plans to go. You said you'd stay back with me which was incredibly nice of you but we technically weren't ditched."

"Oh, I guess that's true." Ava was sick with tonsillitis earlier this week but we had all agreed to go to this house party tonight but once Ava still wasn't feeling completely well enough for a party night, I told her to come hang out with me instead because I wasn't really in the party mode either. It has been awhile since it was just Ava & I hanging out though so it felt different but I loved Calum & Ava nights so I had no issue staying home with her.

"Anyways, I think these dinosaur nuggets are much better than warm beer & cheap vodka, right?" She asked me as she held up a chicken nugget.

"Right. So right. I don't know how all you have to do to cook these is stick them in the oven yet they taste so much better when you make them for me, Aves."

"It's all in the tray you cook them on & when you use the broiler."

"I guess."

"I can keep making them for you, it's no problem."

"Thanks."

& then we continued eating our night away.

I don't know what it was but lately, I've had these feelings for Ava. She is my best friend, she really is, but I find myself thinking about her way more than I should think about my best friend. I thought about asking her to our end of the year school dance, I thought about slow dancing with her, when we'd watch movies, I would think about cuddling & kissing her. I could snap myself out of it & I would instantly remind myself she was just my best friend but I was still thinking it. I could only assume it was hormones or something.

"So Calum?" Ava asked me as she ate another dinosaur.

"So Ava?"

"Tell me something."

"Okay?"

"Tell me how Calum gets the girls."

"What?" I was caught off guard. I had been to a few parties over the past month or so & I've been attempting to flirt, to pick up girls.