Chapter 12

His eyes said nothing.

Ava's P.O.V

As I was wallowing on the beach I heard footsteps behind me. Not even a second later, I had Michael sitting on one side of me & Ashton on the other.

"How long?" Ashton asked me once he was sitting right beside me.

"Four years."

"Four years? What?!"

"To be fair, I've only known for like one." Michael added.

"Yea. Uh, I mean it started out as like I just sort of saw him differently, you know? But then people started dating & kissing & I started to think of those things but only with Calum in mind. There was just this moment where all of the sudden I was like whoa. But then he started having these hook ups in which he always shares details & it really hurts to hear. & now he's upstairs with someone else & I don't know what to do."

"Awh, Aves. I can honestly say that I had no idea. I seriously had no idea."

"I know. I don't show it. I can't show it. He can't know."

"Why not?"

"He clearly doesn't feel the same."

"Why are you so sure of that?"

"Because remember when I dated Ross?" Ashton nodded. "Well I kind of went out with him to see if maybe I could get over Calum with someone else but all I did was compare Ross to Calum & I just wished it was Calum, which isn't fair to Ross, so I ended it. But see the thing was, I couldn't be with Ross because my mind was with someone else. I doubt Calum could be with all of these girls if he had someone else on his mind. Especially if that someone else was standing right next to him & staying in the room down the hall from him, you know? If he liked me, how could he make out with girls in front of me & then share the details of how great a blow job was. Do you see what I'm saying? If he liked me, I don't see how he could act the way he does."

"Oh, it makes sense." Ashton was quiet. I think he knew I was right. "Ava, I'm really sorry. I wish we could make this easier for you."

"I'm trying to get over him. I think maybe a year in Italy will help. I want to get over him."

"Maybe the year will help but it's sort of running from the problem too." Michael agreed. "But I still think you need to tell him."

"Michael, I can't. It will just make things incredibly weird between us."

"Okay so you're right, there's a huge chance that he may not feel the same but there is still a chance that he does. I see the way Calum laughs when he's around you & it's different with you than with any other girl."

"Because I'm his best friend. I laugh differently with you guys than I do just another guy."

"Not the point Ava. I just want you to tell him so he can be aware of what he's doing to you. He has no idea that him bringing girls home is bothering you so if he could stop doing those things right in your face, you'd feel better."

"Michael, I think it'll just make things weird though. I mean so you tell him this & then leave for a year? Regardless how he feels, you'd be leaving for a year." So it seemed like Ashton agreed with me.

"Okay but I am sick & tired of seeing my best friend upset anytime we all go out. I'm the one wiping Ava's tears when she sees Calum off making out with another girl. I'm the one that has to watch out for her whenever Calum has a girl with him. I'm the one who has to change the conversation when Calum is telling us how his one night stand was in bed & then afterwards find Ava to make sure she's okay. I can't keep seeing Ava this upset. It hurts me too. I just want Calum to know so he can stop hurting her."