Chapter 7

The Best Friend Zone

Ava's P.O.V

Once I knew Michael & Ashton were asleep, I went downstairs so I could cry about how I was feeling since Calum was currently hooking up with someone.

I wasn't feeling the alcohol anymore, but I was upset, so I wanted to eat away my feelings.

I went straight to the kitchen before I pulled out some ice cream & then I went over to the sofa before I turned on some reruns of an old t.v show as I ate away my sorrows, silent tears falling as my mind was only on Calum.

All I could do was think about how Calum was up in bed with someone, how his hands were holding hers, how his lips were pressed to hers, how he was telling her how beautiful she was.

& here I was.

I was wrapped in a blanket, eating ice cream out of the carton, crying over a boy who didn't think anything else about me except that I was his best friend.

That may be the worst type of friend zone - the best friend zone.

I eventually fell asleep & I was later startled when I heard the front door open & then quickly shut.

"Aves?" Calum asked as he walked over to me, probably since he heard the t.v on.

"Hi." I sat up as I ran my fingers through my hair. "I must have fallen asleep watching a movie."

"Oh. Gotcha. Sorry I woke you then, go back to sleep." He shut off the t.v for me.

"It's okay."

Now I had to look at post-sex Calum. His voice was raspy, his lips swollen, his hair messy.

I wanted to be the reason for those things.

"I'm uh, I'm just going to head up to bed." He pointed at the stairs. "Are you going to stay down here for the night?"

"Yea. Ashton usually snores when he falls asleep drunk so it's quieter down here anyways."

"Did you want me to stay down here with you?"

"No, you don't have to."

"I don't mind. The sofa looks extremely comfy right now." He then turned off the lamp I had left on before he sat on the sofa that was adjacent to the one I was currently sitting on.

"Okay I guess, I mean if you want to."

"Hey Aves?"

"Yea?"

"Why did you leave so early tonight?"

"Oh. You noticed?"

"Yea. Our song came on & I wanted to dance with you but Luke told me that you left awhile ago with Mikey."

-

Two Years Ago

"What is this?" I asked as I held up a red cup.

"It's a whiskey coke." Calum replied as he cheered his cup to mine. "Try it. I made it for you."

"I feel funny."

"That's called being drunk, Aves."

It was my first time drinking. The four guys had a boys night the previous weekend, where they drank to drunkenness for the first time, & now they wanted me to drink with them so I could experience being drunk too as we were hanging out in Michael's basement.

"Oh. Well I like it. I'm happy inside."

"So am I, Aves. It's great. Drink it."

"Oh right."