CHAPTER | S E V E N

I shut my locker with the sound of the metal hinges grinding close. The metal had rusted a little and made that sound every time I opened or shut it. It was end of the school day and I picked up my books to get home but I lean my head against the cool metal and sigh.

I should be happy the day is over but I know what awaits for me now. A date with Asher. He was taking me to the movies and Darcy was more excited than I was. She was waiting for me at the parking lot so I join the stream of students heading towards the exit.

Once I was out I could make out Darcy’s car and could faintly see Darcy applying mascara in the rear view mirror. Which reminds me, I’d have to get pretty dolled up too for tonight. I could feel the sun beating down on my skin. Once I got to the car, I trailed my fingers over the metal, feeling the heat radiating off it.

I jumped in and fastened my belt giving a nod to Darcy to drive. We got to the gates which was blocked by a flow of students crossing. We sat back and waited for the crowd to thin down. “You excited for this date?” Darcy asks.

“Yeah, as if going to the movies is something special,” I retort. “It’s not exactly romantic.”

“Here’s the thing about first dates,” says Darcy after drinking from her Evian bottle, “they’re either romantic or not. Guys don’t know what the girl likes so it’s usually simple. If a guy really tries hard, then he’ll go all out on dinner and flowers.”

“So what does this say about Asher?” I ask knowing that this is very judgmental which I am against. I can’t predict his personality because of a date.

“It’s a simple one. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad guy.” Darcy answers back and hits the accelerating once there’s a clearing.

“Fine, okay. I just hope he lets me pick the movie.” I groan and lean my head on my hand.

“Well try and compromise. Something you both will like.” She says and makes a sharp turn bumping over a curb. Before I knew it, I was at my house and I could see Hanna in her front garden with her puppy, Diego. She waves at me which I return before I walk into the house.

When I’m in, I go to the kitchen to see my Mom preparing dinner. By the looks of it, I can see we’re having stir fry.

“Oh man, I’ve always loved your Mom’s stir fry,” Darcy whispers in my ear and my mom smiles. “Then you can stay for dinner Darcy.”

“Oh no, it’s okay Mrs. L, I have to get home later. But thanks.” She smiles and steers me up the stairs. In a flash she extracts the clothing I’d agreed to wear. Asher was picking me up at 8 and my mom was okay with it. She knew Asher because he’d volunteered to paint a mural in our local park which I was completely oblivious to.